Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Has anybody built a chicken plucking machine? - update  (Read 11552 times)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: Has anybody built a chicken plucking machine? - update
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 07:09:35 pm »
Well done - it looks absolutely excellent  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 09:01:56 pm »
Wow that looks impressive, it's the plucking that puts me off keeping meat birds, I don't mind the "other" bits.
Anne

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 09:16:33 pm »
Well done. Can you tell me how it works on trad breeds like rir etc? We did 12 the other day and even with scalding at 60 degrees, it was still a bit of a job to get all feathers out. We are hoping to do 50 meat birds next year so will need some sort of machine to speed things up.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 10:18:37 pm »
The 5 of mine we did were Ixworth x Maran.
I was really impressed how well it did them.
If you've got a lot to do and can afford it, definately worth it.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2013, 01:11:42 am »
As well as Dogwalker's birds we did our two cream legbars and I set the scald temperature to 72 degrees. I might take it down to 70 or 68 next time.

We are planning to get Ixworth eggs to hatch next year for a bigger bird.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 11:45:12 am »
Cool. We found below 60 the scald is not very effective. Does doing it at 72 affect the skin at all, some of ours went a bit sort of soapy like the skin had been cooked. Maybe held them in too long.

Also, are the plans to build it free or do you have to buy them? Where did you source them?

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2013, 01:38:30 pm »
Doing it at 72 was the recommended temperature on a number of websites and in the plan book I bought but we thought it was a bit too hot so next time I will do it a little lower.

I think I may have held them in a bit long but I found it took quite a long time to really soak the bird and get all the air out if the feathers if that makes sense.

So - next time……. ;D

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2013, 02:59:30 pm »
Look great and works fab welldone!!!

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2013, 04:55:14 pm »
Doing it at 72 was the recommended temperature on a number of websites and in the plan book I bought but we thought it was a bit too hot so next time I will do it a little lower.

I think I may have held them in a bit long but I found it took quite a long time to really soak the bird and get all the air out if the feathers if that makes sense.

So - next time……. ;D

If you put just a smidgin of washing up liquid in the water that seems to help, and if you dont fancy Fairy Liquid you could use one of the Biological ones made from orange oil or some such.  ;)

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2013, 05:03:21 pm »

So - next time……. ;D

If you put just a smidgin of washing up liquid in the water that seems to help, and if you dont fancy Fairy Liquid you could use one of the Biological ones made from orange oil or some such.  ;)

That's what I do with the ducks and geese but the cockerals usually just need a squish about.
I think the water could be a bit cooler next time, it did affect the skins but not important for family eating.
I normally just use a bucket and top up with a kettle so have no idea of the temp. usually.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2013, 05:54:49 pm »
Yes - temp down to 68, a spot of fairy liquid in the water, quicker dunking and Mr Kimball suggests that hosing the water on whilst the chicken is going round helps aswell.

So all lessons will be taken on board for next time.

Spent this afternoon gutting and jointing the chickens from a blog on the subject. We now have tarragon and cider casserole in the oven as I type this.

:excited: :excited: :thumbsup: :trophy:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2013, 09:17:09 pm »
Sounding good.  I used to like to hang my birds for at least 3 days with the guts still in.  I found it tenderized the birds and added flavour.  You need to make sure they have not eaten for around 24 hours before killing, but make sure they have plenty of clean water. 

With something like a CL I would just cut off the breasts and pull off the legs and skin them, as there is generally not a lot on them compared to one of my Marans, but of course that saved me plucking them which isnt a problem for you now.  Doing the skinning thing you can still get the liver out as well. So the only thing you really waste is the stock from the carcass

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2013, 07:16:31 am »
Well we had DELICIOUS chicken casserole last night. The improvement in the flavour is indefinable….. there's a depth to the taste which is indefinable and the texture was still lovely even after being slow cooked for a couple of hours. I managed to get eight pieces off each chicken and the carcass for stock so am pleased with that

I'm so relieved that it didn't taste like an old boot.

Unfortunately I couldn't leave it to hang more than 24 hours as I am only here at weekends so have to get this sorted before going home time (I was off Friday this week). However…… next time I will try to organise things so that I can let them hang a little longer.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 10:33:21 am by suziequeue »

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2013, 10:21:47 am »
Well done - home produced anything is infinitely satisfying on both physical and personal levels

I liked to keep the breast for stir fry and slow cook the rest in some way

If I had an older bird then it would go in a big pot with plenty of nice veg and herbs bring to the boil on the top of the Aga with some salt and pepper then transfer to the bottom oven overnight.  Take out the pot and leave the bird to cool in the broth for beautifully moist and tender poached chicken plus a pot full of wonderful stock for soups

In the old days all fowl was poached other than the young broilers or roasters of under 12 weeks old

Nowadays everything is termed "chicken" no matter what its age or purpose

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2013, 06:29:27 pm »
that machine looks fantastic..well done SQ  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS