Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lumps & bumps ... & feet  (Read 2144 times)

Violetsprite

• Joined Oct 2011
Lumps & bumps ... & feet
« on: December 07, 2011, 06:28:32 pm »
Hello everyone - my beautiful new kids are settling in really well! Just a couple of issues that i'm hoping someone can help me with. Firstly - despite disenfecting tags & being very clean when tagging one of them has developed an infection - i'm hoping a bit of terramycin and maybe salt wash will soon sort that out but any other suggestions for a speedy recovery would be appreciated. Secondly - one came with what i thought was an abcess right by her toggle - took her to vet who drained off clear liquid and said not a problem & nothing to worry about & jabbed with antibiotic anyway  :( But the lump gradually returned and is showing no signs of draining away - it is quite firm and about the size of a walnut (fair size on a 5 month old kid) - any ideas - everyone i've spoken to has said just keep an eye on it... Finally did anyone see Adam on Countryfile on Sunday say he only trims his goats feet twice a year! - and they're out on pasture all summer! - anyone else as lucky - i manage about 3 weeks before Heidi needs a serious pedicure - they seem to grow like mad!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Lumps & bumps ... & feet
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 07:17:29 pm »
I'm sure salt and Terramycin spray will sort out the ear tag. When I tag, I pour a little bottle of tea tree oil into a bottle of surgical spirit and pour this over the ear, where the tag has gone in. It seems to have avoided infections so far.

No experience of the lump by the toggle but if your vet isn't worried? Maybe take her back?

As for goat's feet, like sheep they vary so much. I only do my goat's feet two or three times a year and so far the Shetlands look to have good feet. The Rough Fells needed doing every month or so!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 08:53:10 pm »
My girls are yarded but still need their pedicure every four to six weeks.  My old lady has one hoof which grows outwards and she starts to limp if I leave it too long.

salopman

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 11:19:01 pm »
I too saw Countryfile and couldnt quite believe it when he said that - but it seems goats are quite individual when it comes to feet ....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS