Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 2 x Saanen nanny kids 9 months old - £50 ?  (Read 6573 times)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
2 x Saanen nanny kids 9 months old - £50 ?
« on: December 02, 2011, 01:50:51 pm »
I have no idea of the value of goats, and don't want them for myself, but I thought they looked good to me.  They are by Leominster somewhere I think.......

Link to advert
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: 2 x Saanen nanny kids 9 months old - £50 ?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 02:37:52 pm »
If they have a decent pedigree (milk in their ancestry) they would be at least 150 per kid... If unregistered ask the breeder to register them for you (only original breeder can register them properly in the Herd book). If they come from unregistered stock you have no idea what you are byuing. At 50 quid they are VERY cheap...

Goats are quite expensive to feed, so it pays to choose carefully.

chickenfeed

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 07:48:04 am »
 :wave:the advert states they are registered. the horns would put alot of people off.

at £50 the pr they would be cheap meat for the freezer.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 08:52:42 am »
Though you may have to search for a vet who would do it, they can still be de-horned. I would leap at them if I were nearer.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 11:21:52 am »
You would struggle to find a vet who would be prepared to take horns off at that age. It is messy and dangerous. Lots of blood...

A lot of people keep their goats with horns, but  you would have to watch your fencing and if you have children aropund it could be quite dangerous. I would always opt for disbudding my own kids and only buy disbudded adults.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 12:31:24 pm »
Shame about the horns, personaly I wouldn't have a horned goat, however friendly they are, they only have to lift their head or turn round quickly and there could be injury.  In saying that, I suppose certain areas they may need a defence.
II'm also not sure about the wording 'will eat all your docks and thistles' (or something like that) people may think they will live on rubbish, they could have worded it better.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 02:33:36 pm »
I would have been very interested if they had been disbudded.  Mine can cause quite a lot of bleeding with residual horns when they play fight.  I dread to think what full size ones would do.  :(

salopman

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 03:09:47 pm »
lovely looking but its cheap isn:t it?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 05:21:11 pm »
very cheap  :-\ I would worry personally.

I have a horned girl here, no problems when they bicker but I have made sure my children are very aware of her horns as although I don't think she'd ever be deliberately nasty with them its when the girls have their faces near her and she jerks back or something.  I have had one of her horns in my ribcage once (accidentally) and it hurts!! 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 05:22:40 pm »
and 'used to being tethered'    ::)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

salopman

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 09:15:57 pm »
You can actually see the tether if you look carefully - its a small chain.  shame

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 09:48:58 am »
They look so much like my savannah don't they? must be the horns. and yes, I'm tempted just to get them off the tethers but we don't have room esp. with puffin coming and with mum being ill I can't take more on  :(

salopman

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 11:47:31 pm »
yep they do look like savannah

princesspiggy

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 10:03:59 am »
our goats have horns and havnt bin a problem. the billies are huge but as hes quite shy hed rather run than butt u.
hop they get a home soon.

Violetsprite

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 05:45:35 pm »
Just emailed seller with a few questions - thanks for posting the ad - i hate to see unwanted goats needing homes - hopefully she's only put £50 because she wants to home them quickly but isn't giving them away FOC for meat - & hopefully she's only tethered them out of ignorance and not cruelty - atleast she wants them to go together. If goats let me trim their feet and will mix with mine then that's good enough - i only keep them as pets. I'll keep you posted - BTW - i have horned & unhorned together and never had a problem unless one was poorly and getting bullied but then i just split them up - personally i prefer to see them with horns ...  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS