Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: respectable?  (Read 1384 times)

princesspiggy

respectable?
« on: December 01, 2011, 09:58:44 pm »
our 6 mths tammies are back. meat has been weighed and on average 50-60kg per pig.
i dont know what they weighed as abattoir hasnt said yet. but measured by tape as 83-85 kg.
the roasting joints had max 3.5cm fat between the meat and skin.
now butcher said they were fat and had a fair bit cut off but thats not included in 60kg meat. and the meat itself isnt fatty. will post fotos tomoro.
whats an acceptable amount of surplus fat/skin by weight?

jus thought id list what we got cos i couldnt find this info when i was looking.
per pig - 50kg meat
roasting joints - 24.5kg
chops/steaks - 10.5kg
bacon - 4kg
trimmed belly - 4.75kg
ribs - 4kg
trotters and meaty knuckles - 2kg
heart - 300g
liver 1kg

next time i will keep them til 7 mths and feed them same amount over longer period to reduce fat.
please comment if u have constructive advice - aiming to be perfect ...lol
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 02:36:52 pm by princesspiggy »

HappyHippy

Re: respectable?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 10:34:22 pm »
Definately respectable in my humble opinion  ;) :thumbsup:
You could try adjusting your feeding as you go, using the can't feel the ribs - too fat/can see the backbone - too thin, theory to keep them a little more lean (or give them more space to play in) I definately find that 1lb per monh of age does get them overfat - I tend to 'top out' about 4-5lbs total, but mine do get loads of fruit & veg for fibre  ;)

That perfect balance between right amount of fat/feeding = cost effectiveness & time is something that I think comes with time & experience - I'm almost there with the Kunes, but still working on the other breeds, it just takes time to find what works for you (and you know how I am when it comes to patience  :-\ ::) :D)

Looking forward to the photo's  :yum:
Karen x

princesspiggy

Re: respectable?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 10:57:35 pm »
the gos was alot leaner but also a couple months older, we get her back tom so it be good to compare.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS