Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how much to feed?  (Read 2786 times)

nihicib2

• Joined Jun 2010
how much to feed?
« on: December 01, 2011, 02:43:32 pm »
Ok apologies all if this has been discussed before, Im wondering roughly how much to feed my girls, I have two AN's in kid and an Alpine and Saanen running with the buck, I also have three under 12 months.  They are stabled this winter with access to the yard and are getting hay ad lib, we have flaked maize, barley, soaked sugar beet and dairy nuts available to feed, however Im kinda confused as to how much to feed of each feedstuff  to each goat, I dont want to give them too much or too little, so can anybody give me a very rough idea as to how much I should feed them, I want to keep it consistent over the winter, and weigh out the feed morning and evening so I am giving them what they need.

Thanks in advance
Brid

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: how much to feed?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 08:42:00 pm »
I use a prepared mix (allan and page smallholder dairy goat mix) and use two baked bean tinsful added to soaked sugar beet (3/4 tuna tin dry) per bucket, two buckets between three of them, together with some chopped pony carrots or whatever else I can get in the way of veg in a third bucket.  Plus as lib hay of course.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 12:51:05 pm »
I use a prepared mix (allan and page smallholder dairy goat mix) and use two baked bean tinsful added to soaked sugar beet (3/4 tuna tin dry) per bucket, two buckets between three of them, together with some chopped pony carrots or whatever else I can get in the way of veg in a third bucket.  Plus as lib hay of course.

presumably that's twice a day MGM ?

Mine are ony a month into pregnancy so they get 1 half pint mug goat mix + 1 mixed flake + 1/2 mug soaked sugar beet, slice of diced wholemeal bread (don't know how that got introduced), a few whole oats (recomended by breeder) twice a day, also sliced carrots + any other veg, fruit, and of course hay ad lib, theyre also out whenever the weather is decent, (not today  :( ) not forgetting minerals. I could probably be giving more sugar beet.
They'll get extra (warm) when the weather turns bad, and I'll make sure I start to increase the goat mix for the last 2 months for kidding.
As I understand it, feeding too much in the first 3 months creates big kids and possible kidding problems, other may think differently.
The kids get same mix but about half what the mums get, they sometimes leave it if I give more.

* just read the 'How much dairy nuts to feed'. looks a useful guide
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 12:54:29 pm by penninehillbilly »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 02:31:41 pm »

presumably that's twice a day MGM ?

Whoops, yes it is.  The feed bags say they should have more but they don't eat it.  I also didn't mention the Rich Tea biscuit after milking.  Very importqant part of their diet.   ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS