Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Highland Beef Steers  (Read 9739 times)

princesspiggy

Re: Highland Beef Steers
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 05:20:58 pm »
....and also when a certain white gsd is around! she is the common demoninator in any accident iv had  >:( >:(

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 06:49:50 pm »
Many Thanks for all the replies  :wave:

I suppose at the end of the day any large animal can be dangerous ( My hampshire Tup Included) I feel sure that if i treat them with the respect they deserve everything will be ok  :)
I do have a footpath running through part of my land and i have put stock fencing up and left approx 14 feet to walk along and drive the tractor up to the other fields if i put barbed wire on the top would this be adequate or would i have to put electric along the top ?  ???

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 08:54:42 am »
I do have a footpath running through part of my land and i have put stock fencing up and left approx 14 feet to walk along and drive the tractor up to the other fields if i put barbed wire on the top would this be adequate or would i have to put electric along the top ?  ???
To stop the cattle or to stop the people?

We use barbed and it stops our cattle.  Neither barbed nor electric will stop a charging bull or a cow intent on defending her calf!  I think the same could be true of a determined tourist...  ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 03:07:53 pm »
If you fancy putting your highlanders inside for the winter to save the ground from poaching its probably best to clip them. Ant set of clippers will work. Horse or sheep clippers. They only need a strip along their spine about 8 inches to a foot wide. This stops them sweating which is what gives them so much bother.
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

ianskerray

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 11:37:50 pm »
Hello All
I am new to this site so not to sure how to post this:
I am looking for a second hand Highland cattle crush and just wondering if any one has one or knows of one for sale.
Only started cattle last year so trying to keep costs down.
Thanks
Ian Macleod
Skerray
Thurso
Caithness
macleod63@mail.com

LulaB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 07:43:04 pm »
Highlanders are like any animal.  You get good 'uns and bad 'uns.  We have a small fold, only five of them and only one is one that is a bit skittish.  Not nasty, but not friendly and a bit flighty.  Her daughter, on the other hand, is the sweetest, calmest thing on the planet.  We don't de-horn.  We're just careful.  Very careful.  I think with polled animals, it's easier to be complacent.  With enormous horns waving around, you're always on your toes!

All of that said, I quite fancy a couple of Guernseys as well...  Anyone have some?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 08:34:37 pm »
All of that said, I quite fancy a couple of Guernseys as well...  Anyone have some?
I have Jerseys; I've worked with both Guernseys and Jerseys and love both.  The Jersey is a lighter footprint and does the same job, so on our very wet ground she makes more sense.  Also, for me, there's just something about a Jersey... :love: :cow:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS