Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ant attack  (Read 7861 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Ant attack
« on: March 11, 2009, 08:16:44 pm »
I have a problem with ants in the house, thought it was a bit early in the year for them but they are here. Does any one have any suggestions to get rid of???

Thanks

James

HappyHippy

Re: Ant attack
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 10:20:10 am »
Going on heresay here as I've not had the problem myself, but......
Cinnamon aparently deters them.
You get plug in repellants which work for ALL pests. (allegedly!)
There's stuff on the market called Nippon which will kill the colony, but you need to know where it is so you can put it near for the ants to carry it in.
Good luck !

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 10:24:06 am »
Thanks Happy Hippy, will try and seehow it goes.

James

carole h

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 04:56:13 pm »
Ant traps seem to work in my house. They carry the poison back to the nests ... sad, really, but we do get lots if we don't put the traps down.
If we have a sudden huge infestation, we do spray with an insecticide - very non-green, I'm afraid, but better than living with lots of ants!

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 09:13:39 pm »
buy an anteater?  ::)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 05:53:14 pm »
take one of your ducks in - I bet they eat them!
Quote <Muscovies love to eat flies, maggots, mosquitos, mosquito larva, slugs, bugs of all sorts, black widow spiders, the brown fiddleback spider and any thing else that creeps and crawls. As a matter of fact, they will search in, under, around and through places to find these tasty morsels. They will even eat ants and destroy ant dens. >
Just make sue they are not importet fire ants.

:&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 07:33:54 pm »
and put nappies on them first ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 07:38:59 pm »
now that really made me laugh, Annie! Have the mop ready, James. :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 07:42:53 pm »
Given half a chance my ducks come in the house - if they see the door open, they're up the front steps and through the vestibule - my poor German Wirehaired Plonker was in a right state last time - she didn't want to retrieve them - she's been warned so often, but knew they shouldn't be in the house so she just stood there and literally CRIED like a baby!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 07:54:21 pm »
I only found duck poo on the bottom step, lol. One of my best friends had a hen who lived for her last months in her kitchen, surrounded by her dogs and cats. They all accepted that it was that way, but hen poo is probably less messy...:&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 07:40:49 am »
When I started with just the 2 ducks, many years ago they did indeed come into the house and they thought it was their right. We put an old sheet down and they would lie there for many hours soak up the life of leisure. Sadly both these boys are no longer with us any longer but they were superb boys. Then, when we got the dogs and the rabbits they all accepted eachother and lived harmoniously together.

James

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 05:10:17 pm »
See my other post on dogs and ducks living not very harmoniously!  Jack, my drake is most unhappy with a floppy leg, but I've had one like that before and splinted it in the asme way.  The female with the damaged face is breathing funny so either it damaged her nostrils somehow or she is in shock.  Hopefully she'll be fine later when i check them again.  If they would just eat and drink I'd know they were OK.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 05:16:22 pm »
The stress must have been awful. I hope all turns out well for them, fingers crossed anyway.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS