Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goji berries  (Read 29406 times)

sandy

Re: Goji berries
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2009, 07:38:35 pm »
I watched that programme and thought the same...I get it all the time, if you don't have  the lates trend you are strange. I thought that women, forgot her name at the moment, was doing her best for her family, what a nice life....all those kids going to School in designer labels, with posh cars and nice houses and parents in LOADS of deubt!!!!! I can oly say my girls are grounded but they are in thier 30's... take a look at the pressure on us buying stuff!!!! I get so mad that people think you are strange if you do not conform...I say WELL DONE.... >:(

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2009, 07:47:22 pm »
Absolutely! Now there's a positive side of the Credit Crunch - less shite to buy and less crap to get dumped. Don't get me wrong, I do feel for all those people who lost their jobs, but this is the chance to turn things around. Not convinced if pumping millions into the banks is the way...
We do have the benefit of living near a University town and I make my eldest look at all those clever kids really closely and what they are wearing. IT DOESN'T MATTER! I think she's getting it...:&>

sandy

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2009, 08:19:06 pm »
I remember my eldest, born in 1973, she wanted some designer trainers so i said she needed to get a job and save for them, she did and she bought them but went off them..all my daughters new the value of money, my youngest was very frugal at school and used to sew her own tights up!!!! I have been so mad with the banks for lending people more money than they can re pay. I worked in Social Services and so many had loads of debut, they  had several holidays a year, Sky or similar,the latest phone, car, fashion and most were on benefits and me in my well paid job had to budget!!! strange world in deed. I too think the credit crunch may help put peoples lives into perspective..I  hope

sandy

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2009, 10:36:09 pm »
Not keen on them Gogi berries..... :P I will eat them all up cause they should do me good...I hope!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2009, 12:24:36 am »
I prefer them soaked first - have planted some seeds.  Will let you all know how they grow or if they grow :-)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HappyHippy

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2009, 09:09:11 am »
Not keen on them Gogi berries..... :P I will eat them all up cause they should do me good...I hope!!!
LOL! I'd heard they were a bit bitter.
On BBC2's 'Grow your own drugs' programme last week they had a recipe for a chicken soup that had the berries in it
http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/features/growyourowndrugs/episode1.shtml
might make them more tasty !

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2009, 09:59:49 am »
They're better soaked first but yes, they are a little bitter.  I have saved some seeds if anyone wants to try growing them.  Let me know, I can post out
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

rustyme

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2009, 07:25:54 pm »
well ... first of all I should explain that I get my groceries from Tesco ( my favourite shop ??????) for one reason , they are the only one that delivers to the area I live . It is cheaper for me to pay for delivery than to drive anywhere, and the local shop is so dear, I only ever buy from there if I really am desperate !! Anyway , the only thing that they didn't have today  was ???? you guessed it .... the goji berries....lol No worries , I will get some as soon as they have them . I was looking forward to tasting them UNTIL I read the posts about how bitter they are . I hate bitter anything !!! Not to worry though I can mix them with other dried fruit and hide the taste.... ::)

cheers

Russ

sandy

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2009, 09:04:02 pm »
The dried ones reminded me of bitter dates, not too bad, I have eaten worse stuff!!!!! They probably better mixed with a few seeds and nuts and other dried fruit. I remember those pumpkin seeds and the tummy ache very well :bfly:

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2009, 06:06:07 pm »
i didn't think they where bitter but my taste have gone a bit weird (due to pregancy) tasted a bit like the rasiens you get in the cardboard boxs
linz

Wellieboots

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2009, 08:43:10 am »
I bought some ages ago when that Gillian Mcwotsername said they were good for you. And as far as her recommendations go, whilst they might be good for you I thought they tasted bleuch! The local plant nursery by me is selling small plants & they do very well in our Scottish climes apparantly (being based on a Himalayan stock). Our nursery is well up on berrys as they grow rasps, strabs etc to sell onto the commercial farms around here (berry country Blairgowrie!). That said I have resisted the urge to add to the fruit cage as I an still taste the dried blighters from a few years ago!

sandy

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2009, 10:24:23 am »
I bought a pack of dried berries and keep them next to the computer to nibble but I keep making patterns with them, is anyone else doodling with Goji Berries? I made a row of them, flowers and circles, how strange.....I also have taken to really not liking them now, not sure if they give me tummy ache and wind :bfly: :bee: :bfly:!!!!! I maybe should eliminate everything else from m diet to find out!!! well maybe not....I wounder if I am healthier ?:-\[/color] well made a mess of this post...sorry!

rustyme

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2009, 02:12:45 am »
I got my pack of dried goji berries today . I soaked 6 berries in teppid water and squished out the guts, and then spread the pulp onto kitchen paper to dry. When dry I sorted the seeds and counted them ...I got 153 ..not bad ... thats 25.5 per berry.. So it is a very cheap way of obtaining the seeds , just a matter now of sowing them and seeing how many (if any?) germinate.
I tasted one , and it was not too bad.... I am not a dried fruit eater really ... don't mind it at all in cooking , just not as is , out of the pack like peanuts so to speak , but I will try some more tomorrow ( see how brave I am ???) and hope they don't turn on me!!!!! lol.Will post updates on the germination rate , I will also have a go with cranberries and blueberries .

cheers

Russ

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2009, 09:05:44 am »
thanks for this thread, mrs SB has dired goji berries with her breakfast each day - though not for the last few weeks.

Anyway, looks like they'll grow just fine here, so i've ordered 3 1YO EU raised plants

Hoepfully next summer we'll have our own Goji's. One more step on the way to growing all our own food. delighted

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2009, 11:25:50 am »
I will also have a go with cranberries and blueberries .

cheers

Russ

I was gona try cranberries but ate them all without realising lol

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS