Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep scanning  (Read 5777 times)

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
sheep scanning
« on: November 29, 2011, 08:04:42 pm »
I only have 5 Ewes but was wondering if it is worth having them scanned to see if Ted has done his job. He has completely lost interest in them after initially being quite keen on spending timre with them. Now he is just under my feet all the time  ::). He was introduced to them in early October and the last and only time I saw him doing anything vaguely within his job description was on the 30th October (I felt very proud of his efforts  ;D)

So what do you guys think, should I have them scanned and if so do you know of anyone lovely in Shropshire who offers this service?

:wave:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: sheep scanning
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 08:08:20 pm »
Well, if he did he job well in the first 17 days of October, they won't have been in season since then, hence him being under your feet  :)

I like knowing how many I'm expecting out of each ewe so I have mine scanned. I'm lucky in that a big neighbouring farmer has his done and i take mine over and tag them onto the end. You may be able to organise something similar since the scanners here are so busy they wouldn't set up for my 20-30 sheep separately.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 09:04:29 pm »
You should have them scanned within 90 days of the tups going out, I believe, otherwise the scanner can't tell how many lambs there are.

IMHO it's worth getting them done - we've always done it, even when we only had three ewes. I don't like surprises, so you know where you are.

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 09:09:31 pm »
surprise was the name of the game before scanners were invented :farmer:

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 09:53:18 pm »
The main thing about scanning is you can feed the ewes with twins more than the ones with singles.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 11:25:08 pm »
You can have them scanned, it is useful to know how many lambs and hence how much to feed the ewes correctly.

Mind you, our old ram, Curly Wurly, never seems to show much interest in our ewes...but come the third week in April the ewes all pop out little Curly lookylikies :-))))

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 11:38:03 pm »
Mind you, our old ram, Curly Wurly, never seems to show much interest in our ewes...but come the third week in April the ewes all pop out little Curly lookylikies :-))))
He's a gentleman - doesn't kiss and tell.  We've had tups like this, never saw him work but all girls in lamb.  We had a bull we never saw actually do the deed, either, it was quite a worry until we had the first lot PD'd!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 11:51:15 am »
We never scan - it's either one or two (or none) with Hebs and they all feed together over the winter anyway.  We leave the tup in for 4 or 5 weeks in November so our lambing is not too long-drawn-out.
 With a breed which could have lots of lambs or which needs a lot of supplementary feeding while carrying lambs it would be worth getting them scanned.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 01:51:36 pm »
I scan my shetlands because I use a big ram on little ewes. I dont want the singles to get too big to be squeezed out

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 04:29:12 pm »
I'll be getting mine scanned this year for the first time. When I just had a small flock of Wilts Horns, I didn't bother, they very rarely throw triplets and it wasn't worth separating the twins. I just hope I can get the scanner to come out for 52 ewes....

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 05:57:40 pm »
I just hope I can get the scanner to come out for 52 ewes....

Mine comes for 9 and used to come for three  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS