Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig - Not pregnant Again  (Read 5556 times)

velcro

• Joined Aug 2008
Pig - Not pregnant Again
« on: March 11, 2009, 03:45:09 pm »
We have been running our 2 GOS females with the GOS boar since last September, (they are about 15 months old) we are pretty much certain one is pregnant and due early April.
However the other one still comes into season every 21 days, the boar has a great time and then we wait and see again !
Has anyone got any thoughts or advice on this or is she just destined to be sausages (not something I really want to contemplate)

Thanks

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
Re: Pig - Not pregnant Again
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 04:54:01 pm »
She could alwys be an old maid. lol

Morgan :farmer:

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 05:27:27 pm »
Try taking her away from her sister and the boar.  Let her come into season on her own, and then re-introduce her to the boar on the season after that one.  It may be familiarity, or as you indicate, it may just be bad luck and she is going to be sausages in the end!

Good luck anyway.

Kate  :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

velcro

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 06:32:33 pm »
Thanks for that advice Kate - space permitting we will try it soon.

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 08:33:40 pm »
I disagree with that, If they have been running since september why is the sister due in April?

I would recommend a different boar? And would get the one you think is in pig scanned to be sure.

Have the gilts been or are they over weight?

BB

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 09:53:31 pm »
Billy** has a point re a new boar and weight. As I said it could be familiarity, so my suggestion is something to try to start with.  Weight can be a problem; it is not a good idea to try to put an overweight female into pig because it could be dangerous for her health wise, and it could be a cause for not taking.  Her age could also be a factor - 15 months is getting to the boarder age for a first time mum.  A year would be ideal.   A few things to consider, but take it one step at a time - process of illimination. 

If  your other gilt has not come into season again, it is a fare bet that she has taken, but time will tell on that score as well.  Three months, three weeks, three days.  You should start to see some changes around eight/nine weeks - three seasons missed.  She should start to fill out a little by then.

As before, I hope it works out for you.

Kate  :pig:

Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 06:54:04 am »
I know when you already have a boar it is expensive, but could you AI her?  Or is there anyone in your area with a boar you could take her to? 

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 10:10:58 am »
Try http://www.britishpigs.org/aisemen.htm for pedigree pig semen.

regards,

Morgan  :farmer:

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 10:20:21 am »
Also

AI centre at Deerpark Pedigree Pigs:
- Telephone: 028 79 386287
- Fax: 028 79 386511
- www.deerpark-pigs.com (They seem to be having a problem with their web site, at the moment)

Morgan

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 05:20:34 pm »
Doubt she is barren, it sometimes takes longer than others for a young sow to become in pig.
Pigtails

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS