Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much dairy nuts to feed.  (Read 2934 times)

Joseph

• Joined Oct 2011
    • Rosemore
How much dairy nuts to feed.
« on: November 29, 2011, 10:31:48 am »
Seeing that others here recommend dairy nuts, I have gone over to them. I had difficulty getting a, regular supply of decent goat mix anyway, and my new third doe didn't really like the mix having been fed silage.

Can someone please guide me to how much to give each of my girls. The nuts seem heavy, and so less in volume is more in weight. I need to adjust my scoop action accordingly. 

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: How much dairy nuts to feed.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 12:04:00 pm »
I started by giving Ellie half and half, flakey mix and dairy nuts by volume (ie a scoop of each  ;)) and have just adjusted it by watching her condition.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 01:13:21 pm »
I introduced mine slowly to it, a handful, became two, then a scoop - my BT's love them, but the the older GG doesn't like them (she is staying on goat mix :-\). The younger GG's eat them, but I tend not to feed them too much of them, as they can get a bit too rounded shall we say quite quickly.
Qunatities depend on if you milk your goats or if the are dry adults, if they are dry (but in early pregnancy) goatlings or growing kids.

Milkers - large breed? - about 500g per day plus 500g for every half litre she milks, my rations are measured by scoop and I mix dairy nuts, oats, sugar beet shreds (soaked and warm).

dry goats maintenance ration is about 500g concentrate per day, but check that they are fully grown. BT's for example can grow well into their third year...

Kids - mine have got quite a lot at the moment as they are still growing (I only stopped bottle feeding one of mine recently), but I will stop concentrates almost entirely for them come spring.

Dry goats and goatlings in early pregnancy - same as adult dry ones.

I used to weigh their feed with a kitchen scales I had siting in the goat house, but now it is more by eye and condition scoring. The only time I really weigh is during the last 8 weks of pregnancy.

Joseph

• Joined Oct 2011
    • Rosemore
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 04:56:12 pm »
Thank you for your replies, wow 500g per half a litre sounds like a lot! I have a Bgs booklet which suggests 200g per litre on top of 500.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS