Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Belted galloways  (Read 5825 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Belted galloways
« on: November 28, 2011, 09:57:14 pm »

I am thinking of getting a couple of these to rear for the freezer, the plan would be to get one at 1yr old and one at 2yrs, send the older one off when ready and replace it with another 1yr old. does anyone have any idea of what I should expect to pay for them? :cow:
Anne

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Belted galloways
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 10:10:43 pm »

I am thinking of getting a couple of these to rear for the freezer, the plan would be to get one at 1yr old and one at 2yrs, send the older one off when ready and replace it with another 1yr old. does anyone have any idea of what I should expect to pay for them? :cow:

A fortune.  Get black ones - they'll taste identical and cost a lot less.  (IMO.)  They're every bit as cute, too.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 10:15:44 pm »

[/quote]

A fortune.  Get black ones - they'll taste identical and cost a lot less.  (IMO.)  They're every bit as cute, too.
[/quote]
Mm well will find out tomorrow morning as the breeder is coming in to see me, she is overstocked and needs to cut down so I am hoping that she will not be looking for too much  ::)
Anne

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 09:29:18 am »
Beef prices are ood just now so don't expect to get them for nothing.

Our butcher's just done a Galloway heifer - he said she was fat but that the beef was terrific.

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 12:55:54 pm »
My belted Galloways heifers cost £1000 each, because they are pedegree breeding stock which I plan to keep for many years. It would be an expensive way of making beef. If like me you like the look of them you could probably get some steer calves for less.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 01:58:18 pm »

I am thinking of getting a couple of these to rear for the freezer,

Have you got an additional freezer? I was just trying to picture the size of a cow vs our size of freezer...but the one meat I now don't ever eat is beef... and missing it sometimes!

You going to sell some of it?

Pheasant pharmer

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Ebberston, North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 02:59:37 pm »
We looked at belteds last year, and were offered some by some friends to get us started, but even then they worked out at about £1000 each so decided against it and went for highlands instead (much cheaper down here in Yorkshire).

Our main driver was getting something that would winter out without shelter which restricted our choices somewhat!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 03:09:34 pm »
Out of interest, Pheasantpharmer, did you look at 'regular' (black) Galloways at all?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 10:18:09 pm »

Well I met the breeder today and asked about cost, was told that she sold them at "market value" so I now need to research and see what they are selling at just now then i will have a better idea. I am also going to go and see them as they also have some x with Charolais. Will speak to my butcher to see how much butchering will cost and also a rough idea of  what weight of beef I would be looking at. Will have no problems selling some as all my pork customers are very keen to get some rare breed beef too.
Anne

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 10:22:27 pm »
The White Galloways, with black ears and noses, are also very cute ......

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 07:11:15 am »
We too are hoping to rear a couple of beef steer this coming year    hadn't thought about getting them at different ages......
We visited a farm a couple of weeks ago where they had Highlands   which i thought were beautiful :love: They hope to have 2 weaned feb ish next year    our choices are limited for reasons similar to pheasant pharmer

They have indicated a ball park price based on the market but when it comes to it i can see it altering    if its too steep we'll carry on looking

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 10:18:59 am »
If you are just looking to put the beast in the freezer, so steers would do, You could try looking for some cross luings, shorthorns, angus's, devons as well as the galloways. All these breeds will face the conditions of winter just as well but might be easier to find depending on where you are in the country. Your gallowayas will be worth roughly similar per kilo as these other breeds in the local mart so that might geve you a sensible ball park figure as to their value (Note that the cross angus, hereford and shorthorns may be worth more because of various supermarket promotions!)
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 05:31:20 pm »
No advise to give you but on my way home from work in the mornings I pass a field that often has Wiltshire Horn sheep and black and red Belted Galloway cattle. It cheers me no end if they're there :) :)

princesspiggy

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 11:41:50 pm »
shetland calves are about £450. have u considered them. they are chunkier than u imagine.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS