Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lame sheep  (Read 6441 times)

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
Lame sheep
« on: November 28, 2011, 08:09:16 pm »
The poor sheep are not having a good week... The vet attended two last week for 1) a foot abccess where a thorn had gone in and b)a pulled muscle due to getting stuck in a fence  ::)

This week one of the others seems to have damaged her coronary band (apparently not common in sheep ???) and has a small spilt in the top of her hoof running vertically, it's small but obviously causing discomfort so again out came the vet to inject with antibiotics and pain relief. He said this may be a long term issue as the crack will now have to grow all the way out and she may have a hobble for a while. At the moment she isn't bearing much weight on it but he said if she responds to the drugs she will be ok hobbling for a while until it grows out but if she still continues to hop she will probably need to be put down  :'(. He said their feet looked in really good condition apart from the tiny crack and it was a mystery how it had happened. We've had the sheep for 18 months and no lamenesses and now in the last week we've had 3. I hate seeing them in discomfort so if you guys have any advice on anything else that might help I would be really grateful  :wave:

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
Re: Lame sheep
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 10:55:09 am »
Hi wellies
Sorry to hear things have not been going smoothly just recently for you with your sheep! -- that's animals for you!

I had a young ram last year who suddenly went lame on his front foot ....... I could not see any thing wrong no swelling or footrot, but on the front  of his hoof I found a long crack from top to bottom.
The crack was very fresh and clean .I remembered that  somewhere I had read that during the 2 World War soldiers injuries had been successfully "Glued" back together with Superglue  :-\ so did exactly that to the split hoof --- I held it tightly together and dribbled some superglue down it, also gave ram "shot" of antibiotics.

The ram got sound very quickly and the crack healed brilliantly!- maybe this treatment is a bit unorthodox but I thought I would just share it with you.

Good luck with your sheep  :sheep:

Tilly  :wave:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 01:49:19 pm by Tilly »

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 05:19:29 pm »
I remembered that  somewhere I had read that during the 2 World War soldiers injuries had been successfully "Glued" back together with Superglue  :-\ so did exactly that to the split hoof --- I held it tightly together and dribbled some superglue down it, also gave ram "shot" of antibiotics.

Interestingly (or not) thats what superglue was originally developed for, I think it was during world war I.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 07:30:55 pm »
Interestingly, that's what superglue was originally developed for
that's right, hence it's remarkable ability to attach your fingers to whatever you're trying to mend  :D
It's very good, if stinging a bit, for mending the sort of splits you get in your thumbs at the end of winter.....

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 07:31:49 pm »
My husband (an ex A&E employee!) superglues any cuts on his hands etc! glad I've read this, I thought it was just him (being odd lol)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 07:54:52 pm »
I would never have guessed that super glue was designed for that, how interesting. The Ewe is still lame... weight bearing when walking but holding it up when stood still  :(. I'm not too sure how long I should wait for the antibiotics to work as there seemed to be an infection as her foot was warm to touch. I could try the super glue as to be honest the poor thing will need to be sent to the kennels if this continues as she is in obvious discomfort. Such a shame as she is a lovely ewe and only just about to turn 2

Thank you for your replies though its really helpful  :wave:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 07:57:41 pm »
Well unless the crack is providing an exit for pus, which is doesn't sound as though it is, I'd glue the hoof together while you're waiting for the antibiotics to work - sounds like it might well make her foot more comfortable.

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 12:49:56 am »
Sorry to hear about your sheep. Are they the ones I sold to you? I hope they recover soon. I know that sometimes things seem really bad and suddenly they get better. Last year my tup went lame after being with the ewes for three days. It was so bad I thought I might loose him but within 3 weeks he was fully recovered and back to work!
Karen

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 06:27:42 am »
Yes, the one that is lame at the mo with the damaged coronary band and the one who pulled a muscle are two of the ones we had from you. All 3 are still here and were doing really well (until last week). They have grown into lovely sheep and had caused us no concern at all until now. Thank you for your message, hopefully she will improve  :wave:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 11:44:52 am »
Hi Wellies.  Do you know which antibiotic the vet used?  It is likely to have been a long acting one, but they need to be repeated every 3 days. Your vet is probably used to dealing with farmers who have large flocks and may not be willing to treat an animal beyond it's monetary value, so his advice is one shot and if that doesn't work, the sheep is destroyed.  However, things are different when you have a small flock.  If this was my sheep I would be happy to treat her with at least 3 doses of antiBs before I even thought of giving up, but in fact I have never given up with foot problems.   I keep two types of injectable antibiotic in my animal medicine chest - Terramycin and a Penicillin type.  I don't use them frequently, but it does mean I don't have to call out the vet every time I need to inject an animal and I can do so promptly.   So don't give up on her yet  :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 03:42:48 pm »
Yes most of us have an antibiotic in the cupboard. Just remember antibiotics need to go into the muscle, so make sure you are on the skin (all the way through the fleece) and only then jab in and slowly push out the medicine. Main muscle on the hind leg is best, if more than on injection - alternate legs. They may sometime go a bit lame on that leg for a wee while, if you have come a bit close to the nerve.

Don't give up on the sheep yet, this time of year they often go lame with scald, and sometimes you can see hardly anything... right as rain next day.

Have you got a trailer to take your animals to the vet rather than having him/her coming out? That way no call-out fee!

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 04:38:16 pm »
again thank you for all your helpful comments and advice/support. Definately no scald or rot in her feet and the vet said they looked fab apart from the tiny little crack which seems to be causing the problem. Luckily the other 2 are back to their normal selves now... one has a spot of arthritis so always has a slightly odd gait but the abcess seems to have healed and the pulled muscle of the other seems to have settled too.Hopefully we can get Henrietta sorted too  :-\

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS