Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lights  (Read 1599 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Lights
« on: November 28, 2011, 12:49:16 am »
Years ago, before all the current rules and regulations about what can and cannot be sold to the public, we used to go to our local butcher and buy what we called lights, for the farm dogs and cats.  We would then cook these.  Would get a big bag full, which saved us buying tinned food.

Is there any way I can still get these, without having to take in my own pig/cow or whatever?  Having a lot of farm cats, it would help us feed them, rather than buying all that tinned and cat biscuits.  I know they cannot sell bones at our butchers, or not like they used to.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Lights
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 07:25:51 am »
We used to get lights and melts for our animals.  I haven't tried in years but I am sure if you asked at a proper butchers they would be able to get you some, but perhaps someone on here with more knowledge than me will know better.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 07:48:11 am »
We get our raw food to sell from the shop from a company called Landywoods who deliver every fortnight. They sell things like economy mince which contains lights as well as other foods too.
call 01889577772 or google 'em>
They are very busy and can sometimes be a bit abrupt but they are fundamentally good folks.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 08:18:21 am »
Before I had working collies I used to feed raw meat and the best place to get affordable offal in largeish quantities was the local abbatoir.  I used to get a couple of carrier bags' full at a time - heart, cheek, lights, melts.  You won't be able to get melts (spleen) any longer, I don't suppose.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 02:29:04 pm »
I get my bones etc. from a local butcher who bones out all his own meat.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 08:21:59 pm »
Well, we can still get 'plucks' (heart and lungs) for school dissections, from the abattoir. They've always cut the lungs, to check for worm I suppose, but you can still usually find a lobe to inflate, much to the delight of (most of  ;)) the kids  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS