Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Tasmania  (Read 2660 times)

Ginny B

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Tasmania
Hello from Tasmania
« on: March 11, 2009, 01:58:32 am »
Hello from downunder ... although I'm still not sure whether I'm really upside down or not!!... stumbled upon this fantastic site whilst trying to source as much info on pig keeping as I can ... have picked up some great tips and will certainly be back for more. 
Hubby and I moved here 2 years ago from south west UK and have bought a hobby farm ... climate here is similar to the south of France and we are finding that most things thrive here ... if we can keep the possums and kangaroos out that is !! Really looking forward to being one of the "gang" and sharing info, stories etc ... some of them I've read have already had me in stitches !!

Cheers Ginny

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Hello from Tasmania
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 06:51:05 am »
Hi and welcome from Brittany (northern France).  Kangaroos and possums sound so much more exotic than sanglier and coypu.  HM

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 08:40:53 am »
Gosh, how fantastic.  What sort of pigs are you thinking about?  Do let us know.

Welcome to TAS!

Kate  :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 09:26:01 am »
Hello from Scotland  ;D
Keep us up to date with your progress  :pig:
I've heard that Kangaroo is quite a delacacy - might be worth getting one into the freezer, lol!  :o
Karen

Ginny B

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Tasmania
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 11:29:22 am »
Well what can I say? ... there are people out there !!! ... I did wonder after a few years in rural tassie !!! ... very different from 2 up 2 down in Bristol !! ... never thought I'd be buying a chainsaw on ebay !! ... we are very lucky here and have 10 acres of cleared paddocks and 40 acres of natural bush land ... would really love to look into rare breed pigs as they seem very few and far between here ... Martin (hubby) has just finished building our first ark and the fence should be finished next week ... I think our first little girls should be really happy !!

Ginny

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 02:07:20 pm »
Hello,

You must get the prize for furthest away ! Tamworths are readily available down under (well, I may be under estimating the travelling !) but some of our Tams grandparents were Aussies.

Cheers

Gavin

in Tropical Northern Ireland.....

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 10:10:49 pm »
Hi and welcome. Get the marker on the map!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS