Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chickens and Turkeys  (Read 4718 times)

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
Chickens and Turkeys
« on: November 26, 2011, 02:05:59 pm »
Would like to get some Turkeys for next year but I have chickens and was told somewhere that chickens and Turkeys can't be together as the chickens carry certain diseases that can kill turkeys. Is that the case please.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Chickens and Turkeys
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 02:10:00 pm »
Chickens can carry a parasite that causes a disease called "blackhead" in turkeys. You can use a medication for the turkeys or keep them separate. :)

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 02:12:09 pm »
second that the turkeys we get are inoculated for blackhead     if you get them without being inoculated you can still lose them even if kept separate :farmer:

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 02:20:01 pm »
Thanks all very use full.

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 04:58:26 pm »
Hi Barrett :wave:

I have only kept turkeys for the last 3 years and I also was worried when people told me Turkeys can pick up lots of stuff from chickens. :-\  :chook:  :turkey:
 I only keep about 8 silkies and buy in fertile turkey eggs to hatch and rear for Christmas.

The silkies make excellent broodies and mothers and the little turkeys do very well on a hen.
Maybe I have been lucky so far!--- I "wean" the young turkeys when the silkie hen  starts to look ridiculous propped on top of her a brood of juveniles!! and separate turkeys to their own hut and run.

Cull out turkeys for Xmas -clean out shed throughly  -ready for next summer to start again.....

Tilly :wave: Good luck with yours.....
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 05:19:31 pm by Tilly »

JEP

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 09:03:02 pm »
we have turkeys & chickens we've not had any problems
we try to keep them separate but have turned up one of the doors open
turkeys & chickens all in the same shed
we've got turkeys at the moment in one run 2 chickens live with them moved them out
but end up back in next day

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 09:24:07 pm »
I was under the impression that Emtryl - the only known cure for blackhead in Turkeys, pheasant etc etc was banned in the UK as it is in most EU countries.  Have they found a new product - if so enlighten me please - it would be brilliant to be able to cure this.  Jan

StephB

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 10:25:26 am »
We have had Turkeys and Chickens in a 1/2 acre field together this year with no problems (so far  :-\)

I read that as long as you kept everything well wormed with Flubenvet or similar then you should be fine.  We wormed everything twice this year and all has been fine.

I had read that all Blackhead treatments were banned but do think the vet can administer something if you have problems, but of course that would probably then take away any last bit of profit you could earn from the Turkey sales.

I think as long as the grown isn't too heavily burdened with birds you have a good chance of everything being fine.

xx
Living on a 6 acre smallholding in Dorset.
Jersey cow, Aberdeen Angus cattle, small flock of Poll Dorset x sheep, Occasional weaner pigs, Geese, ducks and hens.
Polytunnel / Veg plot.

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 11:31:56 am »
you can get turkeys inoculated against blackhead and other diseases :farmer:

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 02:56:28 pm »
more info please Robert  - innoculation for Turkeys - who from - vet?

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 04:46:07 pm »
as far as i know the breeder         the ones two years ago were not and we lost quite a lot they were cheaper to buy but like everything in life cheapest is not always best :farmer:

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 07:32:00 am »
Thanks Robert.  Not much to go on there for the individual who breeds turkeys - I didnt even think big establishments were allowed to use Emtryl as it has proved to be carcinogenic - will ask our vet here in France if another product has been created against blackhead.  I might even try the veterinary field station at Langford, Bristol - part of the University - might be able to get some info as I used to work there - will share if I find out anything.  Jan

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 08:44:45 am »
i think the chicks come from france         the grower we get them from is in a very big way and they do very well we supplied 2 to a friend and they are mixing with poultry this is the first year we have had to clip there beak due to pecking  no problem since debeaking :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS