Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Removing bristles  (Read 8081 times)

stevemarshall128

• Joined Mar 2009
Removing bristles
« on: March 10, 2009, 10:31:02 pm »
I have just helped someone kill and clean two pigs - Gloucester Old Spot/Lop crosses.

Removing bristles proved very difficult.  Scalding and scraping did little.  Burning and scraping removed the hair but not the root.

He eemed surprised having had little difficulty in the past with commercial pig breeds.

My two pigs - Saddleback/Lop cross are due for dispatch in a coupl of weeks and their hair is similar.

Any advice to someone about to do this to his own pigs for the first time?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Removing bristles
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 07:03:37 am »
Hi my first answer would be use the abattoir.  Much easier.  However if you do want it done at home, the home kill butcher uses a blow torch and scrapes.  It works although is very hard work. 

Out of curiousity how do you dispose of all the pluck? 

Malc

• Joined Oct 2007
    • The Edge of Nowhere
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 07:49:08 am »
A bath of very hot (but not boiling) water. Put the carcass in as soon as it is bled, soak it for up to a minute and the top skin and bristles will scrape away very much easier. You can finish with careful use of the blowtorch. It's still a tricky job and you have to be quick, but it works. Don't expect to get every trace of black off the saddleback crosses. There's always a few bristle roots left.

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 05:29:09 pm »
Yes, the blow torch works best on home kill
also, there are few abbatoirs in Scotland who can deal with pigs,
most of them, skin the pig which is not very good as you lose the fat
required for the crackling.

Pigtails

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 05:37:36 pm »
Thats bizarre, considering that here in France where no one except us English eat the crackling, pigs come complete with skin from the abattoir, and its the butcher who skins them.  Would have thought in Scotland crackling would have been valued not removed.  HM

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 06:13:56 pm »
Hi, yes it should be.
It's just that there are a definate shortage of abattoirs and licensed individuals capable of pig slaughter,
The situation in Scotland is dire, to say the least.
I despair for our future.
Pigtails

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 08:54:57 am »
Shouldnt worry the BPA have it all sorted they are exporting pedigree pigs to Thailand etc. etc. the offspring will be imported to UK as prime quality british pork.  Yeh!!!

DavidnChris

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 09:49:15 am »
So how many food miles is that then.
And the BPA does stand for the BRITISH PIG ASSOCIATION they should be ashamed of themselves.
No offence to those in Ireland I include you with us and us with you.

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 12:04:38 pm »
Shouldnt worry the BPA have it all sorted they are exporting pedigree pigs to Thailand etc. etc. the offspring will be imported to UK as prime quality british pork.  Yeh!!!
Is this really true ?  ???
Given the way things are it wouldn't surprise me, but come on, really ?  ::)

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 12:12:18 pm »
Our pigs are crosses, of the Gloucester Old Spot and the British Saddleback, they are outdoor pigs and completely free range.

Pigtails

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 01:20:38 pm »
Happy Hippy  yes its true. 

rustyme

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 01:31:21 pm »
that sounds similar to the butter that was made in Ireland , sent to Denmark (I think ?) ,wrapped and then sent back to Ireland and then sent to England for sale. I can't remember all the details , but I think that was about it ??? How crazy is that ?

cheers

Russ

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 10:10:37 pm »
Ah yes, for a small nation we have politicians who delight in making rather ill informed decisions. It would appear, however, that it is contagious...your lads seem to have caught a dose of it too! ;D

On the piggie front, it is great that we have so many regs coverning the welfare of our animals....but to let home grown produce be undercut by foreign imports (that don't have the same exacting welfare standards) is an absolute disgrace. When we joined Europe there was so much talk about harmonisation of legislation...one big country...yada yada yada. I can by a jeep for a significantly lower price in Northern Ireland, but when I bring it across the 'border', I have 24 hrs to pay vehicle registration tax, which suddenly makes the vehicle slightly more expensive. The first car I ever insured in France cost me approx £250...when I returned to ireland, my first insurance was £1500....I could go on and on and on. As they say, if it looks like bullsh*t, and it smells like bullsh*t...then it is bullsh*t, and quite frankly 'Europe' is starting to smell......
A lot of our pork comes from Denmark and Germany, a lot of our lamb from New Zealand, and a lot of our beef from Argentina...now figure that one out!

This topic was started about removing bristles, but in sheepie terms, we're being fleeced.

Morgan  :farmer:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 06:28:00 am »
I'd love to know the net cost of Europe to us. I'm all for being friends with the neighbours but my gut feeling is that we're being sold a pup.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 08:26:29 am »
I suppose the early Americans must have felt the same when they all got United after the civil war (or whenever)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS