Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Want a pig but not got the space/time??  (Read 5110 times)

bethjames

• Joined Oct 2009
Want a pig but not got the space/time??
« on: November 25, 2011, 11:07:42 am »
Down in South Wales we offer you the opportunity to be able to 'rear your own pig' from weaner to porker without having to commit your own time or have your garden ploughed up!

Simply choose your weaner, leave him/her with us and we will rear it for you all the way up to porker whether you would like pork joints and sausages or gammon joints and bacon, take him/her to the abbatoir and even organise butchery if you wish. All you have to do is sit back and wait for your freezer to be stocked up full of rare breed, outdoor reared local pork.

Why not join up with your neighbours or family and share the meat between you... You'd be more than welcome to arrange to visit your pig any time you like whilst it's with us and we can email you regular photos to show you how it's progressing and enjoying life.

Simply get in touch to find out more or to visit our smallholding to see exactly what sort of life your pig would enjoy.

Beth
www.cilwg.co.uk
www.bancyboblenanimalcare.co.uk

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Want a pig but not got the space/time??
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 01:49:07 pm »
Beth, I am doing that but only for family so, of course, don't charge for more than weaner and grub and slaughter costs. If I were to do the same for anyone else how much beyond these costs should I reasonably charge, do you think?  P.M. me if you like. :)

bethjames

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 02:51:04 pm »
Have PM'ed you Sylvia  :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 05:07:34 pm »
It's a great scheme and I wish you every success - and will shamlessly copy your idea up here if it works out!

But I'm not sure whether this thread should be in Marketplace? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bethjames

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 05:13:46 pm »
Haha not a problem Sally  :D
I think I will copy it to the Marketplace - I was torn myself where to put it, didn't whether this section was just for advice etc or just all things pig...  :) thanks

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 05:39:04 pm »
Beth I don't live that far away from you and i wish you the very VERY best of luck.  What i'd suggest tho is putting an add on the Carmarthenshire Riders forums and on some of the local livestock or horsey sites on facebook as it's free advertising.

Good luck :)

princesspiggy

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 08:08:41 pm »
how much do u charge beth?

bethjames

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 07:59:52 pm »
I  have PM'ed you  :)

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 10:15:17 pm »
Can you also pm me too please. We've had 2 pigs in the summer for ourselves and another 4 at the moment, 1 of which is for my sister and they all go on 8th December.  We've been debating for some time whether to offer this kind of thing for friends too, open up some more of the fields etc to do pigs.

andycase007

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 11:49:13 am »
Hi
Please can you PM me details - this is right up my street as i dont have the land to do it myself.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 12:47:42 pm »
Great idea! We effectively did this last year by starting a 'pig club'. We bought 3 weaners and split the costs and the pork six was between six families. Each family paid a monthly sub IIRC it was ~£20 which meant we covered food bills as we went along. It was so successful, we bought a smallholding last autumn and are now running a community farm on our six acres organised along similar lines.

bethjames

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 05:12:43 pm »
Thanks WelshLass, I've done that a few times in the past with various things, it's an invaluable (and free!) resource  ;D

Sounds like you're really making a go of it and having a great time doing it benkt, fair play! Best of luck  :)

I think I've PM'ed everyone that has asked me too etc but I do apologise if I've missed anyone ( :o ) please PM me if you have any personal questions - or if I've missed you out! I really should save my replies to the outbox so I know where I'm up to  ??? Things have been so hectic here with this that and the other haha!
Beth

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 10:11:07 pm »
Beth, you missed me off :'(

Heather ;)

bethjames

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 09:45:07 am »
Sorry Heather!  :o Have just PM'ed you  ;D

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 10:40:51 am »
Thinking of diong this with my sheep next year!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS