Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Plants for ponds  (Read 3318 times)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
Plants for ponds
« on: November 24, 2011, 04:00:09 pm »
My husband has dug a large pond which is fed from a field drain. At the moment it's just a muddy pond which the ducks are loving, however I want to plant oxygenating plants to keep it clean and hospitable to wildlife, but I don't know what to put in it which is native, duck proof (!) and inexpensive, and what time of year to put the plants in. I'd be very grateful for any advice!
Thank you!

deepinthewoods

Re: Plants for ponds
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 06:12:16 pm »
when i made a small pond for my veg plot i raided a nearby wild pond for some water mint, im not sure if its duck proof but it is lovely in a salad!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 06:31:37 pm »
I think you'll find that nothing is duck proof - if it's edible they'll eat it!  I have a burn running through my garden which the ducks go in when I let them out of their run, and it has loads of ferns along its length which they don't seem to bother with, nor the mint I planted on the bank to help keep the rats at bay. ::)

Edited - just found this website which seems to answer the question.  Keep birds off plants till mature or plant mature ones, plus an article from British Waterfowl Association - http://www.wildflower.org/expert/show.php?id=3610
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 06:36:45 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 05:35:40 pm »
My husband has dug a large pond which is fed from a field drain. At the moment it's just a muddy pond which the ducks are loving, however I want to plant oxygenating plants to keep it clean and hospitable to wildlife, but I don't know what to put in it which is native, duck proof (!) and inexpensive, and what time of year to put the plants in. I'd be very grateful for any advice!
Thank you!

Dizzy,
Santa sent me a wee book called " The rockery and garden pond expert " it is an interesting read.

However the best advice I found in it was get some plants off a neighbour who has a pond or stream running through their property as these will be able to cope with the local conditions.  They don't seem go much on what you can get out of garden centres as they are usually not the healthiest of specimens .

My small buytl lined pond 12 x 8 by 2.5 feet deep  is now so stocked  , with a few more mid marginals arriving in spring.

I put a wanted  request on the local freecycle for anyone clearing their pond who had any excess plants to please let me have some as I was making up a new settled & weathered  pond . Lots of people were only too happy to help me out with a bit of this a bit of that even though most did not know what the plants wee called.

One guy gave me several buckets of established water with  loads of differing weeds in it , we also saw it held several newts and dragonfly lave as well as a couple of very small baby carp.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 05:45:18 pm by Plantoid »
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 06:12:33 pm »
If you have the patience, it's very helpful to let the pond colonise naturally :)
http://www.pondconservation.org.uk/millionponds/pondcreationtoolkit
 :thumbsup:

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 06:21:52 pm »
Thank you all, good advice. Particularly the freecycle. I'll try preloved and gumtree too. Thank you all!  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS