Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ram dies after castration  (Read 12524 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: ram dies after castration
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 10:21:39 pm »
Really sorry you lost him  :-[
I had my two goats done surgically (as a result of a bodged burdizzo job) at 5 months, with painkillers, and apart from some evident discomfort the next day, they were as right as rain in no time.

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 11:09:48 pm »
Is metacam lisenced for sheep? Not sure what painkillers are, but it may have been part of the reason why it was not readily given.

So sorry to hear about your ram, especially as he was so friendly. :-*

Allison
No metacam is not licenced for sheep, it's for my arthritic dog, but the vet who prescribed it told us her Mother has taken it for years with no ill effects.  I expect 'they' will get round to licencing it when it suits. Over the years I've used it on sheep who have lived to a ripe old age.
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 11:53:31 am »
It's licensed for pigs and horses according to wikipedia
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 01:09:38 pm »
now the second one has a broken front leg. this is now becomming very expensive.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 05:14:36 pm »
 :( more bad luck :( hope you can get it sorted without too much trouble.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 08:24:27 am by kanisha »
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 07:17:59 am »
its in a caste and the vet thinks it will heal ok.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 04:42:20 pm »
just had the bill. for the emergancy call out on a sunday £36 plus treatments.
so for  a vaccination. two castrations two locals for the sheep. pain killer and anti inflamatories plus the plaster caste and examination and the two visits £134. even with the loss of the first ram lamb i think thats very reasonable.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2011, 07:44:05 pm »
Well, that could have been a lot worse!

princesspiggy

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 09:46:16 pm »
castrations are dangerous, we just do them so much we take it for granted. we had a scare with a mature stallion being gelded this year. he took a long time come round and was crashing round stable for 30 mins with 2 adult men trying to hold him (he was 11hh) and ended up very cut and bruised.
everyones heart was racing, and im pretty sure the vets were s****g themselves incase he conked out, cos i certainly was.

sorry to hear bout the ram. i presume he was castrated late as he had breeding potential?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2011, 09:57:44 pm »
he was going to be meat. however he was to friedly well all three boys were. so the kids and the wife wanted them as wethers. i won't be using that method again. ringing from now on a lot less dangerous and whole heap less messing about. we have four geldings to be done next spring which will be a lot of fun.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS