Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ram on paddock with footpath  (Read 5424 times)

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
Ram on paddock with footpath
« on: November 23, 2011, 08:21:45 pm »
Hi all- if I run a ram and ewes (Castlemilk Moorit) on paddock with a footpath going through it do I need to do anything special? warning signs etc.? Or am I better off not mixing humans/dogs with them? One option is to put up 3-strand electric which is effective (and also shows I am doing as much as I can to keep all safe)?

Thanks!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Ram on paddock with footpath
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 09:10:46 pm »
Fieldfare, please tell me more about your CMs.  Are they flighty?  Is the tup likely to protect his ewes?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 04:50:57 am »
I'd put up the fence - for the sake of your sheep and peace of mind.

I've never heard of tups going for walkers.....but as for dogs chasing sheep! We had (not me, local farmer) a Japanese Akita kill a Rough Fell tup a couple of weeks back.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 05:47:23 am »
If you do put up electric fence make sure there are signs on it at regular intervals as they are required by law. Also beware of theft of battery/charger in some places or even vandalism of the fence as some walkers dont like electric fences, make sure path is wide enough.

Would avoid signs other than a reminder to keep dogs under close control as livestock in field as wording suggesting the animal in field might be a risk is deemed to be an attempt to discourage walkers from exercising rights to use footpath.

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 08:36:17 am »
that reminds me of when we first erected the electric fence      we don't have paths anybody that comes into our fields have to leave by the same method or climb over dyke and fences           one such wag did so and got shocked to such an extent he beat the crap out of the fence with a dead branch
i just wish i had been in the vicinity as i can imagine the scene    and to this day i do not have warning signs on the electric fences :farmer:

rbarlo32

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 08:51:03 am »
i would not put signs up. if the walk was to meet the ram it could be argued that you knew it was dangerous. if is an agressive animal then don't put it in a field were the public can get to. its not worth the hassle you could face.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 03:24:36 pm »
No there are no laws against this at all and I keep a very friendly.....VERY friendly horned wether in with any sheep I have on one particular field....

If anyone comes into the field he rushes over at speed.....which usually has the desired effect of making them either hurry through the field determindly hauling their dog with them or to depart the way they came.

He is not at all dangerous and just wants to know if they have a sheep nut/sandwich/cake/apple or anything else edible about their person....and he is not at all intimidated by dogs.....dogs find him rather intimidating though :thumbsup: :D
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

rbarlo32

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 04:41:55 pm »
 ;D :thumbsup:

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 06:43:20 pm »
....OK- when they go onto the footpath will use 3 strands of white mains energiser electric polywire to separate them from the footpath. This might help keep dogs away also  :D- see other post. SITN- my ram is only young so I don't really know how he will react when fully mature (I have heard some can be difficult). So far he is absolutely fine. CM's are not flighty- once they know you and the field they seem to be fine (at least when plenty of grass and you move before it has run out). They, so far, have proven really low maintenance and friendly.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 10:21:17 pm »
CM's are not flighty- once they know you and the field they seem to be fine (at least when plenty of grass and you move before it has run out). They, so far, have proven really low maintenance and friendly.

tralallalalallalala (music to my ears)  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS