Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Christmas milking  (Read 3270 times)

moody_mare

• Joined Nov 2011
  • South Gloucestershire
Christmas milking
« on: December 03, 2011, 06:20:31 pm »
I have a dilema! we are supposed to be going away to my parents over xmas and I haven't got anyone to milk my girl.

I can take them with us, but will have to leave them there as we are only going for 3 days!

Do any of you know of anyone in Glouc who loves goats so much they would consider milking xmas day and boxing day? 
Too many animals isn't enough animals!

Moderate tendencies towards hyperactivity :-)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Christmas milking
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 08:51:05 pm »
I would if I were nearer.  Not much help I know.   :(

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 08:54:17 pm »
ooh, not many relief milkers available over the Christmas period .....fingers crossed you find someone near by to help you out.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 11:08:24 pm »
Why would you have to leave them - the 'standstill'? What livestock have they got?

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 06:27:50 am »
It is worth speaking to Animal Health on this one.... they can grant a special Licence in exceptional circumstances.

Several years ago, I had a kid born unexpectedly who could not be left with mother... can't remember the reasons now... and we were going to a very important showjumping event - son was competing .  As the kid was only 2 days old   ..... a licence was granted on welfare grounds because she needed feeding so many times a day.

They told at that time.... although these lIcences were not granted freely, they did look at individual circumstances.   If yourparents don't have other stock, this might be one of them.

moody_mare

• Joined Nov 2011
  • South Gloucestershire
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 09:28:36 am »
my parents have a flock of sheep :-(

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 09:50:41 am »
oh moody mare if I didn't have so much going on with the 4 children and my mum I'd help. I have a friend who knows a relief milker here (near Evesham) who might be able to help! Leave it with me for a few hours I'll facebook her and see if she's got a number xx
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 10:22:48 am »
Well, it's been known for a set of movement forms to be written out with the actual movement dates on, in case you're stopped (what chance of that or a farm inspection at Xmas) and a different set, showing the official standstill time before they were moved sent off, if you're not.......

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 08:26:30 pm »
how many animals need caring for and how many need milking in total. would you want a housesitter who could look after them too x
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

moody_mare

• Joined Nov 2011
  • South Gloucestershire
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 08:49:06 pm »
2 goats, 1 is a milker. we also have a cat and chickens who could do with a look in. only looking for xmas day and boxing day!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 11:41:08 pm »
quote - only looking for xmas day and boxing day!

That sounds like it would give someone an excuse to escape the Christmas 'festivities'  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS