Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Freezing fresh yeast?  (Read 2928 times)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Freezing fresh yeast?
« on: December 15, 2011, 04:53:15 pm »
Hi

Ive got a years subscription for monthly fresh yeast deliveries (wow!!) as a Christmas pressie so I can become an artisan baker extraordinaire/manage not to cook a brick (delete as applicable).

It says to refrigerate the yeast but does anyone know if it can be frozen or is that clearly a mad idea as the yeast will of course die?

just wondered as the block is rather larger than I was expecting and theres another one arriving min Jan :-))))

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Freezing fresh yeast?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 05:03:36 pm »
Yes - fresh yeast freezes well.  Put it in small wraps the weight you usually use - think they recommend 3 months maximum, but I have used it after about a year (yes - I always forget I have it!)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 05:22:52 pm »
Thanks vv much Greenerlife! :thumbsup: might get through it by doing that! Am also sending some to my sister in London via OH, tho what the secuirty people at the airport will think of it, you can take food on internal flights but the texture might be a bit suspicious!

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 11:07:15 pm »
Vaccum seal if before freezing it if you can ..it keeps better & you can post it
 Use some of the last couple of months to make your own yeast starters and grow subsequent batches from them if you have some where warm and dark to grow the cuklture and you don't mind the yeasty fart smells .
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS