Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Duck pond pump suggestions! Broken HELP!!!!!!!  (Read 2823 times)

It-needed-a-home

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
  • Zeus (our saxony duck)
Duck pond pump suggestions! Broken HELP!!!!!!!
« on: November 22, 2011, 12:18:15 am »
Hello everyone i have a pond pump and i keep replacing it all sorts of bits getting caught in it and burning the motor out any suggestions the pond is about 1200 litres

Model suggestions
??????

Thanks
Well i have cut back and i still have to many !!!! Oh well just as well i love them !!

robert waddell

Re: Duck pond pump suggestions! Broken HELP!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 12:14:34 pm »
fit a strainer :farmer:

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
Re: Duck pond pump suggestions! Broken HELP!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 03:03:37 pm »
Can you say why you want to take water from the pond?

You can buy a special type of pump called a macerating pump which is normally used for pumping sewage. It has a couple of cutting blades on the rotating part which chop any solids as they are pumped. You could try one of them. They can form part of a submersible pump or be sat on the side of the pond driven by a separate electric motor. They are slightly less efficient than a standard pump but should keep working.

If you Google 'macerating pump' you will find more information and suppliers.

You might be able to get an old reciprocating pump. These are used on construction sites to drain water from footings and foundations. They are usually driven by the sort of air cooled single cylinder diesel engine that used to be found on small cement mixers. They don't have an impeller but use a plunger. As the water only sees a chamber which alternately sucks and blows the are less vulnerable to blockage. A new one would be quite expensive but you might be able to find a used one on the internet.

If you only need the pump a few times a year, it might be possible to hire one of these reciprocating pumps from a hire company which supplies the construction industry.

Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS