Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Greenhouse spares - central scotland - where can i get them??  (Read 3055 times)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
hi everyone.

I got a free greenhouse from a friend, however, the long aluminium strut that runs the length of the roof has been damaged - right at the end where you lock it into the frame and secure it.

So right now, it's only the thinnest piece of aluminium that is being held in place.

I'm not at all confident it'll last once i put the glass in so i want to find a replacement piece of aluminium

Anyone know a place in the central belt where i can buy this 1 piece of greenhouse frame? Looking online there are plenty folk selling glass, clips, pipes, staging, openers etc - but not a piece of the frame.

sadly i don't know the manufacturer, so i can't just look them up

i also need a couple of bits of glass - it's a triangular shape - not a std 2' by 2' panel, no one seems to be offering shaped glass online :-( (Its ok, i've found a local glazier!!!! sorted for that bit!)

any help greatly appreciated!!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 12:54:46 pm by sellickbhoy »

Growler

• Joined Dec 2008
Re: Greenhouse spares - central scotland - where can i get them??
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 11:28:27 am »
Hi

It is going to be difficult to find the right shapes for your greenhouse if you don't know the manufacturer
maybe you could quiz your friend to see if he can remember the name. There is a chap called Tom who lives down on the Boness Road in Grangemouth opposite the Dentist  Herd and Bryden, he does deal with Robinsons, but he may be able to help. I have in the past built my own greenhouse and I used a firm called aluglaze, internet for you I think just trying to match the shapes. There is also Stuart McFadyen in Linlithgow who works from home
now at Oatlands Park in Linlithgow for glass all ways good to compare prices.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 11:54:44 am »
Morning Growler

I dropped in by Stuart this morning, and he has cut the panes i need.

I think i managed to fix the greenhouse last night, i've used a couple of washers (the ones that are meant to be shake proof) and put one either side of the broken "lug" and tightened them down.

I stood and gave the structure a good shake for about 20 minutes, and they've not budged, so looks like this might just do the job.

So, i think i might be sorted. my friend says teh greenhouse was there when she moved in, so she has no idea when/where it came from - so if this doesn't work out, i might just be doomed.

im currently scouring ebay/gumtree to find a new greenhouse just in case (and to replace my plastic one which suffered some fatal damage in last weekends winds)

Growler

• Joined Dec 2008
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 12:03:51 pm »
Hi

Glad your sorted for now. I will keep my ear to the ground for a greenhouse for you any idea what size or budget.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 12:15:39 pm »
well, i had a plastic "tunnel" like greenhouse on a base that is 6' by 13' - so really anything up to that size.

Budget is as cheap as possible - but i might be getting a 6 x 8' one from a guy in dundee for £100, and there are a couple slightly bigger on ebay that i'm watching until the weekend too.

if I go for the 6 x 8 one, i might try get a wee 6 x 4 and stand them back to back on the one base

so in short, anything size wise, and under £150 budget wise.

though now that my freebie 8x6 one looks like it'll be going into active service in the next few days, there isn't much pressure on getting one in, so i'll just keep my eye on gumtree/ebay until something pops up.

cheers

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS