Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Eggs with no shells?  (Read 3332 times)

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
Eggs with no shells?
« on: March 09, 2009, 07:45:45 pm »
One of our hens has been laying eggs over the last couple of days that have no hard shells only a thin membrane holding it together.  Anyone have any ideas about this and how we can rectify the problem?

:-\

Thanks Gillian

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Eggs with no shells?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 08:14:02 pm »
Is it a young hen? One of my ducks used to have that problem but it was the first time for her laying so I put it down to her being very young. I did introduce some "grit" into her food and the problem stopped. I do believe it was her age though.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 08:26:18 pm »
Try this website:   http://wiki.omlet.co.uk/index.php/Soft_Shelled_Eggs    - it should answer your questions.  It often happens to young hens, and the problem quickly rectifies itself.

Kate  :chook:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 08:27:02 pm »
Sometimes hens do this when they start laying. It should pass. Oystershell grit won't do any harm.

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 08:35:29 pm »
Thanks everyone.  She is about 25-28 weeks and has been laying 'normal' eggs every day for about a month now.  One double yolker last week then 3 soft shells in the last week.  She is free range and has pellets and oyster shell as well as scraps.  Hopefully it will pass.

Thanks
Gillian
x

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 09:29:25 am »
If it happens to one of our ducks occasionally I give them extra oystershell grit and next day it's fine. :&>

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 09:48:37 am »
I get them sometimes , when pullets are starting to lay. it always makes me jump when I pick up the egg and it is squishy and soft, not firm and smooth like a normal egg. I've never used them for eating, not sure what to do with them, so usually feed them to the cat.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS