Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is it Time for Toby's trim?  (Read 3291 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Is it Time for Toby's trim?
« on: November 17, 2011, 06:50:12 pm »
Tamed Toby the previously timid feral kitten is now around 5 months old and grows more troublesome by the day.

Having recovered from his sore arm, his facial disfigurement as a result of a grazed chin lead to his phantom of the opera episode. Fourtunatly this compulsion to flit about the place furtivly, darting out of sight with little more than a flash of black and white was short lived and marked the end of his interest in the entertainment industry.

However, he did really like the idea of wearing a cape and leaping about in the dark, so he has decided to lead a double life as a super hero. By day he is timid toby the mild manered kittolesent. But as night falls he is transformed into Super ninja cat - wiskered warrior and feline fighting machine.
He hasnt made his public debu yet and is still practicing his skills. Unfortunatly he practies on me and his mum Polly which is wearing abit thin.

would a trip to the vets take his mind off saving the world and help him to settle down to a life as a simple farm cat ???

Buffy

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Is it Time for Toby's trim?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 07:48:08 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

No. Ours are both castrated and they live the same double life - it's like "Ladyhawke". As the sun rises, they change into sleepy, purry cats that like to cuddle down under the duvet, if at all possible, or snooze the day away on a sunny windowsill but as the sun sets, they become scalers of trees, great leapers and yowlers and the torment of all things small and furry or feathered.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 08:42:14 pm »
yep, same here with the "kittens" (now at least 18 months old!)
If its very cold or very wet then they might stay in at night.... but can be heard tormenting the dog who gets rather hysterical.
Little Blue

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 06:30:03 pm »
Hummn,

perhaps that is where I am going wrong. Mine play out through the day and come in at tea time. They spend the night inside and Toby, who is licking my hand as I type practices his martial arts on us untill he gets told off and goes to bed in his basket.

Buffy

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 08:09:40 pm »
he is only young still .... we only let our two out at night as they got older, well bigger anyway!

If you get him "orchastrated" (!) then he'll still have that hunting instinct, but stay soppy towards you when he feels like it.

When you think he's big enough to hold his own against neighbouring cats & large rodents & birds (we used to say our tabby cat was likely to be mugged by a sparrow as she was so small! still is) then let him out, but give him a shelter / bolt hole somewhere.
Does his mum stay out?
Maybe let them go together :cat:
Little Blue

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 06:39:50 pm »
No his mum stays in too. They have a cat flap and can go out for a wee when they need to but they both like being indoors.

what age should he be when he is snipped.

Buffy

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 07:42:28 pm »
depends how big he is in that department!
 between 4 and 6 minths usually
 ... can you tell they are there yet?!

we took Alfie at about 4 1/2 months (i think) but weren't convinced Frankie was really a boy for quite a while :D
Little Blue

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 06:34:10 am »
well

they are both there.....and feel abour the siseze of a pea beneath his fur.  The local vet charges £33 for an orchastratoin. Is that the going rate and should I have anything else done while I an there such as chipping etc?

Should I also take mum for a check up or am I throwing money away?

Buffy

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 12:23:55 pm »
£33 sounds about right, is that with VAT?
You might get a PDSA/RSPCA/Blue cross deal, as they are ex-feral?  (Roxy, where are you, bet you know!)
Our vet does voucher for money off if microchipped & vaccinated, or might be neutering & chipping (they dont always do the chip & jab on the same visit)

He must have tamed up, to let you feel that closely ;)  :D  the vet would do them I imagine at that size. (not to say I'm any kind of an expert in cats testicles, but we have had 5 boys & 2 girls over the years!)
Phone them, don't pay a consult fee just to establish if Toby's "big" enough!

If mum is healthy to you, has ok teeth etc then Im more inclined to say save your money on consultations & get her flea & wormer regularly instead... as that soon adds up!
  We ensure all ours have had the first series of jabs, then don't bother so much with the boosters. We have 4 cats at the moment, the old chap lived to be 16 so I don't think it does any harm!!
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS