Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello Ben!  (Read 6430 times)

sandy

Hello Ben!
« on: March 09, 2009, 06:19:41 pm »
We got Ben yesterday, a 10 mth old Lab that has been castrated. He is not pure black but he is a Lab as he has a white chest mark and brindle legs, his mother was brown. He comes to call and sits, does paw and lie down and is fairly good, we took him to the woods this morning without a lead and he was very good, not sure about if he has too many distractions as he is a bit head strong, we are keeping him in a tight routine and giving him lots of meaty treats when he behaves well. He has of course been trying o mount Isaly but that should wear off in time, I remember Bruce at that age, he looks like he will be a good boy, Islay is taking well to him and it's funny that she loves her teddies and never plays with the rope toy's we have or even balls, but Ben took a roap toy and walked around teasing Islay, also, Isaly jumps into the deepest mussiest waters and he just gently paddled...we will see how he goes as he has come from a family home and kept inside and not taken on as many walks as he will get here......

HappyHippy

Re: Hello Ben!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 07:24:22 pm »
They look like a matching pair Sandy !  ;D
They're both lovely looking dogs - I'm sure he'll settle down fine, labs are such good dogs (in my humble opinion  ;))

sandy

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 07:36:48 pm »
He's doing realy well so far although he jumps up when you first meet him, I will soon get him out of that, he also saw the chickens and woundered what they were, he wants to get into the garden to  have a"better" look and had to be told off to get him back to his bit of the garden!!!! Islay is a much sloppier dog and is very easy to train, he has been to classes and he knows what to do but I feel he could be a bit stubbern.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 08:11:32 pm »
Sandy

Great picture. It is the best thing to do after loosing a pet, in my opinion, to offer a home to another deserving animal. I know it never takes the pain away but it does ease that time of loss. I wish you all luck.

James

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 08:34:37 pm »
Hello Ben! and welcome to the forums!

Well done Sandy!

We went to the cat shelter on Saturday - we can register for kittens in two weeks, although we won't be able to get them until they are 13 weeks old because of Felix's chronic cat flu.

sandy

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 08:46:22 pm »
I like cats too and have had many over the years but running the B&B they would go into peoples bedrooms..not so good. It's nice getting a new pet, hard work, I know how kittens have sudden mad half hours, clinging to curtains etc, they are very cute and funny...I've got to introduce Ben to the chcikens later on, don't want him to kill them or chase them!!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 01:13:22 am »
Islay is a much sloppier dog and is very easy to train, he has been to classes and he knows what to do but I feel he could be a bit stubbern.
He's a male - what else would you expect  ;) ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 07:15:31 am »
 He is a Male, he has been used to sitting on the sofa but he takes notice when I tell him NO, last night Steve got off the sofa to answer the phone and Ben got up and came to me, looked at the sofa and came back and repeated it, he then put his paw on it and I said No and he went away..so I was imressed. I also find it interesting how he likes the rope toy's, Islay was trying to tempt him with her wet teddy but he was not at all interested. We nearly had amore expensive Lab but someone got there before us, on refection he may have been a bad idea as he was a gun dog and used to working and being kept outside...he also was not castrated and the same age as Islay so would have been much more "active" I am popping out at 1.00 but am in the rest of the day, you can see him....Oh..a realy bad  habbit is he will jump up, I am stopping this but he is very strong and nearly knocks you over, as far as I can tell he does not a ppear to be an agressive dog at all...we will see!! P.S Duck eggs do make great cakes, thanks Anne :D

sandy

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 07:02:19 pm »
Ben is doing realy well, he met loads of dogs today and came back every time he was called. He is a bit lazy, my other dog wizzed in and o ut and covered miles, he plodded around taking short cuts and we were realy pleased when a man with 4 dogs showed us how to put a lead to stop him pulling, he did exactly what he said and the man said he was listening and that is a good sign....good old Ben, looks like he is a good dog..

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS