Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Billie goat needed  (Read 3139 times)

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Billie goat needed
« on: November 17, 2011, 03:07:10 pm »
I think!

The billie kid I was hoping would do the job has been in with my goats today with one definately in season and after a lot of pushing and head butting amongst them I think he's decided the big girls are too scarey.

Anyone more experienced got any suggestions?
Is there anyone nearish here with a billie available?  I'm near Llanidloes, mid Wales.

Mine are unregistered and haven't had a CAE test.

Any advise gratefully recieved.
Thanks.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Billie goat needed
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 03:33:03 pm »
If you get them tested , ( it wont take long for the results, ) we are only at Dolau (Llandod ) and have B.Saanen & BTog. billies 
Sorry cant risk untested goats.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 06:16:08 pm »
When we took the in season nanny and the billie kid into a seperate pen in the barn he did mount her several times but he's not quite tall enough for the job.   poor chap.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 08:43:00 pm »
If you can get the girl to stand on a lower bit it will help (the boy a step up?), I used today a GG billy kid on my BT goatling, and it worked best when she was a bit lower... he was smaller but very keen on the job!

But if you bring them down to your vet tomorrow and get the blood sample taken for the CAE test the result will be back with you before the next opportunity in three weeks time... good to do that anyway!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 10:03:18 pm »
Last year I took mine to an unregistered billy kid, only unregistered because the owner didn't want to keep a male, he was actually from a very good line, kept for mating a few females then sent for meat. While it seemed a good idea at the time, I've thought since if he had been with a CAE positive goat, (owner knew mine weren't tested, so obviously hadn't bothered about others) it could have ruined mine. I got mine tested a few weeks ago, result within a week.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 12:26:16 pm »
Now I'm getting really confused by these goats.
The small dark one was in season for a day on 8th and today again, only 10 days.  Tried putting her and the billie kid in the shed together, she's not interested in him or him in her but she's strutting round the field tail wagging, shouting for a man and gazing up to the tups at the farm next door.

help please.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 04:32:18 pm »
Is she a goatling or an older goat? Goatlings come into season sometimes quite irregularly. A normal season should also last a bit longer than just one day.

My goatling last year didn't stand very well a her first service (to an adult male, she was a bit unsure I think), then came back into season 26 (!) days later and on returing to the billy with the girl really obviously in season the boy didn't want to know... fortunately the lady had a second male on the farm, so he did the business and it all worked - just to say it isn't always a clear cut thing!

Sorry probably not much help here, do you have an experienced goatkeeper nearby?

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 06:26:54 pm »
Thank you, I've spoken to tizaala and think we're getting something sorted, depending on CAE test results next week.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 05:13:11 pm »
Goats can have a false heat, about a week before they come into their "true" strong season.

Also, it's possible she is just not that impressed with the kid, and doesn't think he's up for the job. A step does help- and hold onto the female so can't swing aroung and knock him off. The last thing you want to happen, is for him to hurt "himself" by trying unsuccessfully to mate the older females.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS