Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Freezing pork and crackling  (Read 20524 times)

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
Freezing pork and crackling
« on: December 08, 2011, 11:56:07 am »
Does anyone know whether freezing pork has an adverse effect on successful crackling?    We only ever get to eat one joint of fresh, unfrozen roast pork before needing to freeze the rest, and it always seems that the crackling is much easier to get right - bubbles up, light and easy to break up.     However the crackling from frozen pork is quite often extremely leathery and hard, despite using exactly the same time and high initial temperatures in the oven.   Occasionally I have tried additional high temperature roasting on a separated bit of frozen skin only to end up with burnt crackling.   Has anyone else had the same problem, and is there any way round it?   Tamsaddle 

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: Freezing pork and crackling
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 12:59:43 pm »
I've noticed that with the GOS crackling, it's still as good after freezing. 

I've heard the it isn't the same with other breeds, but will be interesting to hear others' experiences. 

Make sure it's really dry before adding salt/seasonings, that will help a lot.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 04:32:30 pm »
At the moment I only have the opportunity to buy supermarket pork. I have had some good crackling frozen or not though.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 05:06:33 pm »
Ours has been great both before and after freezing from the 2 saddlebacks we got this year.  I just make sure its dry, salt it and cut lines in it and its fine.  Hope yours is ok, nothing worse than crackling that doesn't crackle x

WaltDisneyWorld

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 05:55:20 pm »
Our GOS makes good crackling after being frozen.

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 06:04:04 pm »
Berkshire crackling good either way.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 11:12:04 pm »
The key is having it as dry as you can before you salt and cook it.  Take it out of the wrapper to defrost, wipe off any moisture (several times if necessary) and let the air get at it for a while (and let it be at room temperature, too) before you salt it immediately before you put it in the blisteringly hot oven.

HTH
Sally
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ramblerskitchen

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 11:16:03 pm »
I have frozen loads of joints from both my saddlebacks and from the first batch of pigs I kept which were Blacks x Berkshire.

I always pour boiling water over the crackling, dry it, add small amount of oil and then salt and pepper..... crackling is always great even from Supermarket pork, which luckily I have not had to buy for over a year.

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 12:20:23 pm »
Thanks for all the comments.    I will definitely try and make sure the skin is much drier next time.    Perhaps the problem was pouring boiling water over, then immediately salting/oiling and putting it straight into the oven while the skin must still have been soaking wet.    Will be most interested to see if dry skin gives better results.   PS our pigs are Saddlebacks and Tamworths.     Tamsaddle

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS