Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: mould  (Read 3599 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
mould
« on: November 13, 2011, 05:18:49 pm »
i read recently on this forum that someone had lost pigs due to mouldy feed.......... does this also apply to fruit etc as i have plenty of apples, a few that are complety brown rotton with some mould on them, is this ok for pigs to eat

robert waddell

Re: mould
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 05:51:41 pm »
they would find mouldy fruit in the wild     mouldy grain based feed is different :farmer:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 06:14:53 pm »
I did think that, but wasnt sure

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 07:33:09 pm »
Always best to check, harry  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 09:04:42 pm »
what about tatties that have started to grow?

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 01:00:14 am »
if they are green shoots  or tubers   they can be poisonous to pigs :farmer:

princesspiggy

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 09:13:54 am »
is the whole tattie poisonous once it starts to grow, or just the tubers themselves?

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 09:52:00 am »
i read recently on this forum that someone had lost pigs due to mouldy feed.......... does this also apply to fruit etc as i have plenty of apples, a few that are complety brown rotton with some mould on them, is this ok for pigs to eat
Rotten fruit and mouldy grain are  2 different things.  You can feed wet grain to pigs and if it is kept wet then is will ferment and then it will contain alcohol.  If the grain is wet and then  has no more water added to it and is kept under a tarp or plastic it will mould up and that is not good for pigs.

Where as  fruit gets some fruit fly  in  it or some rub off the tree or a bird that might peck a hole in it, which breaks the skin of the fruit , this might cause the  fruit to drop, or it might continue to hang but the fruit will go bad or rotten on the tree.  this becomes unsaleable so becomes pig food. :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 10:04:56 am »
princess any thing to do with potatoes that are green or turns green    that will be the Shaw's when growing and tubers that have been exposed to sunlight :farmer:

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 01:53:54 pm »
I always boil my spuds before giving them to the pigs better to be safe than sorry, and it warms there food up on cold winter evenings even the chickens enjoy a nice mashed up spud or two. :pig:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 10:15:57 pm »
I always boil my spuds before giving them to the pigs better to be safe than sorry, and it warms there food up on cold winter evenings even the chickens enjoy a nice mashed up spud or two. :pig:

I have read that raw potato will interfere with the pig's absorption of other proteins, so spuds really need to be cooked for pigs.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 09:32:51 am »
WARNING!! Green spuds raw or cooked are poisinous.  :o You cannot cook the poison out!!

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 10:08:06 am »
A few green spuds will do no harm at all. Like most things only dangerous if eaten in excess.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 11:15:42 am »
with spuds it is the exposure to sunlight/daylight that turns them green
anybody tried putting green potatoes in soil or peat to convert back to what a potatoe should be :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS