Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What do you do with the Sloes left over after making Sloe Gin  (Read 41857 times)

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
What do you do with the Sloes left over after making Sloe Gin
« on: November 11, 2011, 10:44:27 pm »
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: What do you do with the Sloes left over after making Sloe Gin
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 11:36:12 pm »
I like the chocolate idea!!

Sloe gin has become a bit of a tradition at our Dales shows. Those of us on the pony forum quite often pass a flask of sloe gin around between us.  Probably the other competitiors think we are a crowd of alcholics!!  Especially when the shout goes up  "whose got the sloe gin!"

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 03:42:06 pm »
hunters chocolate I think is what it is called.  Was going to do that this year, but now I have seen the sloe port recipe...  :yum:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 04:39:49 pm »
We've made sloe gin and sloe vodka for the first time this year and we were just talking about what to do with the sloes at lunchtime. We'll be giving both of these a go, I think.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 05:09:00 pm »
I have found you can usuallly get another "batch" out of it first,

Then drain the sloes really well and stir into melted white chocolate - Green and Blacks is good - so it looks chunky, and almost individual pieces covered in choc.  Put onto greaseproof or silver foil til set.  Break into small chuncks and enjoy.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 05:24:08 pm »
I read somewhere today (can't remember where) that you can put them in a jar with a bottle of pale sherry, leave for three months and you get a nice fruity sherry. Obviously you pour the sherry out of the bottle first.  :D

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 07:28:12 pm »
I don't stone the sloes before making the gin, so don't think I could stir them into melted chocolate afterwards without incurring hefty dentist bills! Does everyone else stone them and if so, how?

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 09:30:32 am »
I can't believe that the recipe tells you to keep the stones in.  I was thinking the same as you jaykay - literally a recipe for disaster!  ;D
 I think sloes will be a pain to stone thoughh, but worth it. Guess you just have to slice each one in half.

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 10:12:05 am »
I often use the sloes a second time but use whisky on the second making (same amount of sugar and spirit to the weight of sloes). Makes a fantastic hip flask filler. Make sure you use plenty sugar though or it tastes like bitter whisky, bleurch!
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 10:33:55 am »
I was bought an olive stoner...a small hand held gadget that you place each fruit in and press! Ive not used it on olives but its great on cherries (the very ripe ones sometimes miss the pip and squish it to the side so need a second press) I guess this gaget would work well on sloes too.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 11:24:12 am »
I am going to have a go with my cherry stoner, but i think that the hole for the stone will be too big and most of the sloe will be lost.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 05:38:46 pm »
Sorry! Pressed the wrong thingy :-[ As I was saying, no need to stone sloes but you really should keep it for at least two years before drinking. As to the used sloes, Dan is right,a bottle of good, dry sherry. You can drink this at Christmas ;)

SmallTimeSmallholder

• Joined Dec 2011
  • South East
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 08:59:46 pm »
I have made damson vodka this year, which I'm going re-soak in sherry in the new year. That should be ready about Easter. I'm then planning to make jam out of the remaining damson's! Waste not want not  :P
I think the sloe chocolate idea sound excellent!  :D

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 09:27:37 pm »
We've done the sherry thing now too, not sure about stoning all those sloes though.  :-\

At least the prospect of chocolate-coating them will lend a bit of encouragement.  :D

phil1235

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 05:42:20 pm »
Stoning the sloes will release more sediment, it seems to me.  Pricking each one, which I used to do, is time-consuming (and finger-pricking :().  Simplest thing is to freeze them, then the skins split a bit on thawing.  Also gives more flexibility over when to start the sloe gin off.
Haven't tried recycling the sloes before - am about to start! :yum:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS