Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The “Native Shetland Wool  (Read 7017 times)

rbarlo32

• Joined May 2010
The “Native Shetland Wool
« on: November 11, 2011, 05:09:50 pm »
a new local area protection from the end of the month to have the above tag they must prove its from shetland.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: The “Native Shetland Wool
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 06:53:25 pm »
I saw this; I think it is EU PDO protection.

Like the meat one, I think it is a good thing and they are (mayvbe unlike the meat) stipulating that it is Shetland breed wool only as well as from Shetland.

But it does raise the same issue as the meat one in making it hard to know how to (in a short one or two words) describe the Shetland wool and meat that is raised on the mainland ; when a breed shares its name with the place covered by a PDO they dont seem to give thought to how to ensure proper distinguishing titles (which would benefit both island and mainland as it would give consistency and clarity).

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 07:00:03 pm »
It's a problem. How am I to describe the meat and wool from my Shetlands? I think the island meat and wool should be 'Shetland wool from the Shetland Islands'.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 07:11:21 pm »
the cornish pasty is protected by this too iirc. i think it means that it has to be made in cornwall to a set recipe to be called a cornish pasty, so maybe that would apply to shetland wool and meat?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 08:54:30 pm »
turns out the eu has messed up. only six farmers/crofters are allowed to use this title. so at the moment shetland sheep on shetland can't use that title.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 08:15:28 am »
Can I call my meat and wool "Devon Shetland" or "Shetland from Devon""? ???

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 08:52:13 am »
Can I call my meat and wool "Devon Shetland" or "Shetland from Devon""? ???

I bet it has to be 'meat from Shetland sheep reared in Devon'  ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 11:36:34 am »
sounds about right.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 04:26:36 pm »
I wonder if this small group ever has the financial means to actually sue someone using the title "Shetland wool"... (especially if you leave the "native" out).

However in general this is a bit of a kick in the teeth for the (usually) small-scale mainland UK Shetland breeders, who actually play an important role in providing a wider geographic distribution of the genetics for Shetland sheep... after all one F&M outbreak on Shetland and their flock could be gone...

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 04:29:14 pm »
that is an interesting point    has FM ever been that far north :farmer:

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 04:41:30 pm »
Common sense (ha!) might say that "Shetland Wool/Meat" would be the PDO and "Shetland Breed Wool/Meat" a reasonable mainland version?

It's a shame Fairisle knitting/pattern isn't similarly protected, there are lots of cheap 'n' nasty acrylic copies out there in fashion-land at the moment.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 04:57:40 pm »
after all one F&M outbreak on Shetland and their flock could be gone...

Would that be the case, though?  Isn't it lots of islands, and hopefully the natural disease barriers would mean it would not spread across the whole region and take out all the sheep?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 11:14:57 am »
it would be a total wipeout if it did.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 11:41:56 am »
it would be a total wipeout if it did.

Well I am fascinated.  How does sheep-farming on Shetland work then?  Is there lots of movement between islands?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 12:04:19 pm »
It was more a general point that having a rare breed of sheep in a single ocation would mean it could be wiped out by any disease spread through air/water/humans/dEFRA disease control measures etc.

Also to my knowledge the number of people selling pure shetland wool (on the mainland) are all small producers mostly selling through small shops, directly or etsy or similar. So not a real threat in my opinion...

But I think wihtin a few weeks everbody will have forgotten about it... I am just waiting till they put a PDO on texels...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS