Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mushroom identification  (Read 4438 times)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Mushroom identification
« on: November 11, 2011, 04:31:06 pm »
We've got a stack of mushrooms that have appeared over the last few days. I have no idea what they are but would be very keen to make use of them (ie eat them!) if anyone can help out y positively identifying them.

I think they are all the same type - just different stages. It appears that the immature ones have more of a cup shape, then this flattens out as they got more mature but they retain a smooth margin, then the margin gets wrinkled.

I've taken some piccies - unfortunately I turned the ruler over so some pics show the scale in inches, the others show centimetres!

Many thanks
Tish

deepinthewoods

Re: Mushroom identification
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 04:45:25 pm »
it looks like a clitocybe type, did you notice whether there was a 'bag' that it had grown out of? ill have a proper look in my books later when i get back from docs!!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 05:17:11 pm »
Aren/ the gills pure white at all stages?

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 04:37:15 pm »
Deepinthewoods - had a good luck at where the stem comes out of the ground - to my inexpert eyes there didn't seem to be any 'bag' like structure. Should I use a fork to lift some of the mushrroms out of the ground so I can see what the underground structure is?
If it is from the clitocybe family it looks like we can't eat them anyway  :(
Thanks
Tish

deepinthewoods

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 05:09:58 pm »
its a really hard one to identify. i cant be sure what it is. the first rule is unless you have done all the checks and are 100% positive, dont eat it!

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 07:48:28 pm »
dont eat it!

Our thoughts exactly! Thanks for the time  ;D

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 08:34:07 am »
I once found some, what I thought were chanterelles. They looked right, they smelled right and I showed them, quite proudly, to my sister.
"Don't eat them, they may be false Chanerelles" she said "Leave them with me and I'll do a spore test"
I went next day to see the result. "Oh, yes", she said, "They were the real thing (I'd known this all along) and they tasted lovely!" >:( >:(
Some funghi are easily identified but it's always best to err on the side of caution. Get a really comprehensive book and, at first, always show them to an expert. (but not my sister) ;D

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 01:14:01 pm »
http://www.rogersmushrooms.com

THIS SITE HAS SOME GREAT HELP WITH IDENTITY.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS