Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: help i've got a run-away collie  (Read 6913 times)

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
help i've got a run-away collie
« on: November 11, 2011, 02:55:28 pm »
We've had a lot of fireworks lately and my collie bitch has been very frightened. Last week she jumped out of the doghouse window and went to my neighbours and sat under their kitchen table. Today she's gone AWOL again she managed to open the door by repeatedly jumping at it then flew off down the lane luckily another neighbour saw her and brought her back.
My hubby thinks she is trying to find me because she is very bonded to me and i've not been there when she's run away. when i'm home she's fine. We do have a lot of shooting around us and i think that's what happened today. a gun went off and she panicked.
I now have to put some extra thought to keeping her in, i've never had a dog like this before and she was fine last year. She's so quick too, out the door before you know it.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: help i've got a run-away collie
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 03:04:10 pm »
I'm glad you've got her back  :-*

I used to have a collie cross who was like this. What seemed to make her feel safer was her own big crate, in the corner of the spare bedroom, with a blanket over it, so it was dark and quiet. She'd spend a lot of time in there and just come out and lie with me when i was around. I used to put her in there, with the radio on a talk show, whenever I knew there would be a lot of banging (fireworks, shooting etc.).

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 09:10:17 am »
I'm no expert and have only hard Archie for 2 weeks, but so far can vouch for the crate.  I was lucky enough to be given a dog crate and Archie loves it. 
I leave the door open during the day (unless I go out) and he goes in whenever he wants some peace and quiet.  I shut him in at night so that he doesn't do any damage and he doesn't soil his bed. 
I recognise that you have a different problem but it may be worth a try.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 09:17:23 am »
Many collies are very highly strung and some do need a safe dark place for a refuge - a crate with a blanket over it, such as jaykay describes, and/or under a table, is ideal.

I had a collie that nipped people in the backs of their legs.  It was just nervous fear; we were advised to make him an enclosed dark place and it did make a big difference - somewhere he could retreat to and feel safe.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 02:40:29 pm »
I too agree with the crate and blanket idea. Our Jack Russell used to take himself off to the puppy pen when he wanted peace from the other dogs, it was his comfort zone, now he just goes to our bedroom where his bed is when he wants away from everything.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 09:08:48 am »
Hi thanks for all your answers, trouble is she has her safe place!  she goes under one of the cupboards in the outhouse and it is nice and dark and usually she can be found there when she feels threatened but i've noticed she is in season again. she had a season in September but is most definately in season again.
We have been going to get her spayed but each time something happens and it gets delayed, i will take her to the vet and get her looked at again, we were booked in for 3 months after her last season so maybe he will just go ahead with it anyway.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 09:21:09 am »
I think your vet will be reluctant to spay her is she is having a true season - there are often health risks.  But it would be wise to have her checked out as soon as possible if there were only 2 months since the last one.  Was it a full length season last time - 3 weeks?  Did she bleed for a week then go clear.  Did she swell up.  Is she bleeding this time. Your vet will want to know this too I think. 
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 12:22:35 pm »
no she only bled for a couple of days and swelled a bit for about a week so not a proper season but it was at the right time, this is very late for her.
she is very swollen now and bleeding so i think this is a true season also she goes a bit manic and she is like that now but still very obedient, she always comes back to me. We don't have any unneutered male dogs around here so i think we are safe for now and i walk her early in the morning and after dark so pretty safe there too.
She goes off her food too, but i did think that was the fireworks until i saw her bits!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 11:22:47 pm »
I had a collie who used to disappear behind an armchair in the corner whenever there were fireworks.  Our biggest problem was when we were out walking and someone started shooting.  One bang and she'd be off unless I could catch her in time and put her on the lead.  I think it must be a collie thing.

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
    • Timber Chalets and Lodges
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 08:13:01 pm »
If you look on LostDog website......every collie that has disappeared seems to have gone after being spooked by a gunshot, thunder or firework!!!

I am very pleased with my Collie.......if we are out walking she will run to me, sit for 3 seconds to get her lead on, then bolt for home..............lead on of off!!! If we are in the field, she just looks at me as if to say 'Did you hear that? I'm going home!!!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 09:48:07 pm »
A strange thing happened to me yesterday.  Out with my oldest and youngest Brittanys (10 and 2) in a deer-fenced walking area, Freckles went off hunting, and when I whistled her up she appeared carrying a warm, unharmed, but very dead hen pheasant.  Not a mark on it and the ribs intact so Freckles hadn't killed it as far as I could see. 

Freckles is gunshy, has been since she had a scare with a  dummy launcher.  She gave me the bird and almost immediately I heard gunshot on the neighbouring estate - and not very far away.  Freckles didn't flinch and carried on her way along the path.  I doubt very much she is cured of being gunshy but it was really odd.  I'm beginning to wonder if she is going deaf. ::)  I have heard of people getting ear plugs for dogs that are scared of loud noises. :)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 10:34:48 pm »
Annie, you say you 'whistled her up' - surely that must mean she isn't deaf?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 10:09:20 am »
Annie, you say you 'whistled her up' - surely that must mean she isn't deaf?
Not really, the whistle is a 211.5 so pretty high pitched.  She would have heard that OK, but teh gunshot is much deeper.  That's why I thought she might be going deaf - it was just a thought. ???  Maybe she is just kidding me on and just doesn't like the smell of the shot ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS