Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My cat was kidnapped  (Read 6070 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
My cat was kidnapped
« on: November 10, 2011, 11:30:52 pm »
or catnapped more like!!

Amongst my cats I have a tiny, but year old, white cat, very fluffy, called Angel.  She is the sister to the one who got killed by a car a few weeks back.  Angel looks more like a 6 months old kitten, than a year old cat, but not sure why!!

On Tuesday, Angel had her tea with the others, then I went off to feed the goats.  It was dark, but I saw a car pull up by the gate at the lane ....just thought it was someone looking for eggs maybe.  When I got back with the cats milk, no sign of Angel.  Thats very strange, as she always waited by the gate for her milk to arrive!!

Wednesday, still no Angel.  I was really worried, and thought back to the car, wondered had they hit her, and maybe chucked her body over the field wall into the hedge?  Searched our side, and the neighbours side of the lane - nothing.  Today, I went round the neighbours thinkng she was shut in their outbuildings.  Then I worried, she may be lying ill or dead, as I had wormed her, and being small often give her too much, and as usual she had the trots, and a messy bottom the day she disappeared.

This evening, a phone call from our vets.  Had we lost a cat?  Thinking the worst and someone had knocked her down ...I said yes, and they described her.  Yes, it was Angel!!!  Apparantly, she had been sitting where she was usually, by the gate, and some helpful passer by decided she looked underfed and sick and took her home - the following evening (Tuesday) they took her to the vets.

I had to stop mid way through feeding all the animals, get changed (there is usually a full waiting room, and did not want to walk in  in my muddy boots and hay covered jacket!)  Went upstairs  with the nurse, and there curled up fast asleep, in a lovely warm cage was Angel.  She woke up, jumped on the nurses shoulder and rubbed round her, looking as large as life.  She was pleased to see me too.

Nurse said they had cleaned her up, and wormed and frontlined her, but the vet had checked her over, and said she was definitely not a kitten, but fully grown.  But she is not skinny, and he said there was nothing else wrong with her.    I was pleasantly surprised when the nurse said there was no charge for the B & B or wormer and frontline - there again they get plenty of money out of me for other things!!

I said perhaps Angel is deaf- and we clapped our hands and she did not flinch, so yes, maybe.  I think the other one was too, the way it sat in the lane and did not move.  She told me to keep it in off the lane, but thats not going to be easy!!

Hope no more good doers pick her up.  A note telling me of her whereabouts would have been nice - I have been so worried about my little Angel.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: My cat was kidnapped
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 12:44:08 am »
Glad you got her back safe - but what a worry!  At least she's white, so traffic will spy her as well as possible - perhaps she'll sense the vibration of approaching cars?  I hope she manages; as you say, it's hard to keep them in all the time.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 01:03:09 am »
Someone did the same thing with one of my dogs - took her in their car from just by my house.  She is microchipped so was returned by vet. :dog:

I'm so glad you got your Angel back  :cat:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 06:56:24 am »
I'm glad she was safe and you've got her back  :)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 07:16:35 am »

Speechless!!!  But surely it would have been easier for them to knock on your door and say 'any idea who's cat this is?', than go to the trouble of taking it to the vet?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 08:11:02 am »
When I started reading this story my heart went into my stomach, but I am so pleased she has turned up safely.  What an absolute worry.  And as others have said, surely it would have been more sensible to ask if she belonged to anybody.  But a happy end is good.

Maggie

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Umberleigh, Devon
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 10:28:21 am »
Love a happy ending too.  Agree though, bit odd to lift the cat when she was sitting at a gate! 

2 weeks ago I saw 2 old springer spaniels, they looked very tired, wet and muddy, and were crossing between my field and a neighbouring one.  Didn't recognise them as belonging to anyone I knew.  I tried to get them into the landrover so I could get them to a vet to check for microchip, but they were determined to keep on going on their route.  I still worry now, if they made it ok. 

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 06:42:16 pm »
glad she has been safely returned to you - as has been said, it would have been quite easy to just check if she had a home

our tabby is a small cat, though the oldest.
And Frankie is alot smaller than his brother Alfie who is a chunky monkey :)
Little Blue

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 07:38:43 pm »
It all sounds like Disney!  Was it Curella that took her to make her into a cosy muff?  Poor little Angel, so glad she's home, it's always a worry though, it's like people want any animal they see to be a stray, especially post Christmas.  I'm sure I've heard in the past somewhere that all white coloured cats are quite often deaf - can anyone correct me, or was that what you were intimating in your post anyway Roxy?
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 08:12:19 pm »
I'm sure I've heard in the past somewhere that all white coloured cats are quite often deaf - can anyone correct me, or was that what you were intimating in your post anyway Roxy?
Quite a lot of white animals are deaf, and sometimes blind or shortsighted - white boxers for instance, although if they have a coloured patch on them they aren't pure white.  Isn't it the 'albino' gene?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 10:02:15 pm »

Very glad that all turned out well in the end.

There's an old woman lives nearby to us who has a bit of a reputation for taking in any cats she sees wandering around. I'm sure she means well but we're talking about cats that clearly *aren't* strays, just like to roam.

A couple of ours have spent time there, being overfed, before being liberated.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 11:14:24 pm »
Angel kept well away from the lane, today!!  I have put her in the cat run tonight, with the kittens, and she seemed happy enough.

I do have a white cat, but Lillian is definitely not deaf. Most of her offspring are white, but have striped tails, and  I have suspected one or two of those are deaf.  They follow me down to their caravan home for feeding, but not sure if its because they hear me shouting them, or just they see me and follow.

Angel is a granddaughter of Lillian the white cat, but her mum is ginger, black and white, and most of her kittens are ginger.  But it does seem that Angel and her ginger and white sister were  both deaf for some reason.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 08:39:57 pm »
At least if they're white they'll be seen by cars even if they don't hear them - although this hasn't helped you so far! ::)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 10:53:31 pm »
Glad it all ended well  :thumbsup:
someone once took our little chap, luckily they were seen and I knew the family, but they must have known he lived here, brought him back after a phone call from lads mum.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 10:23:54 am »
Poor little lady seems to be unsettled after her ordeal.  She keeps crying, and hardly leaves the cat pen.  Suppose being picked up and put in a car was enough trauma for her, never mind been kept in a cage at the vets and being poked and prodded etc.  I think she may be better off not going out in case someone else decides she needs lifting.  May put a collar on her with a note saying "leave me alone I live here!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS