Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gates being left open and legislation  (Read 20145 times)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Gates being left open and legislation
« on: November 10, 2011, 06:42:14 pm »
I've seen a few threads about the annoyances of people having gates left open and the repercussions that could be extended to the 'assailant' and I've just come across a page that could essentially be called upon by bods who have the hassle of this happening on a regular basis.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/37/schedule/2

Essentially we dont have the 'right to roam' in wales and england (thank god) but we do have a similar piece of legislation thats being updated all the time to help keep the system amicable to all.

It is infact against this legislation to not 'leave a gate as its found'

Baz

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Gates being left open and legislation
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 08:17:11 pm »
That's what I have always been taught about the countryside  - if you go through a gate leave it exactly as you found it - except! if there are animals in the field and you reckon someone else has left it open in error (or deliberately) In which case, close it and find someone to tell them. ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 08:27:23 am »
Mine are kept padlocked!

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 09:05:56 am »
our local farmer keeps EVERYTHING padlocked whether there is something in the field or not :( forcing us to ride on the very narrow country lanes....not particularly safe when there is a tractor and a trailer coming to meet you!!

I have no issue with gates being padlocked when there are either crops or livestock in a field, and in fact I wouldnt ride in either even if there were NO gates at all, however, i do take exception to his padlocking gates when the field is totally empty.....

but then he's horrible in lots of other ways as well

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 09:58:21 am »
I do padlock my field gates but there are public walkway gates that people can use. My one big complaint is people using these gates and leaving them open or complaining that there is livestock in the field where they are walking. I have actually had to use electric fencing to put a walkway around the field for people to use after my sheep kept getting attacked by dogs and gates left open so the sheep went exploring.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 10:10:38 am »
We had a right do with the council over a right of way into our field, they wanted to put in a kissing gate but we said that pigs are clever and they would work out how to open it, after prolonged negotiations, OH threatening to put loader thro said gate and site visits we got a stile!
mandy  :pig:

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 10:35:30 am »
Ellisr, a friend of mine put an electrified walkway around her field to protect folk from her ponies! Someone complained that it was not the correct path and she had to take it down. We have had a few gates opened recently , luckily the fields were empty at the time and one that is opened frequently after my OH checking it after myself only leads to the garden and the chickens/ turkeys ....or is that more worrying at this time of year?

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 10:51:26 am »
I have checked the correct path and have fenced it accordingly, I did have one complaint about them not being able to walk across the middle of my field as that is the quickest way from gate to gate when I showed the map detailing the route that should be taken.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 01:38:34 pm »
I dont mind folk coming on my land at all if they shut the gates. We get trout fishermen, walkers, people coming to look at the archaeology and best of all until a couple of years ago we have an empty water pump house that the local kids had made into a den. They raided skips, mums kitchen etc and made a little house which included a three piece suite in one room and an old conservatory suite in the other.They painted the walls and had a washing line outside. It was great to nip down and see what they had done. The pen outside was a decorated garden of shells.
They are all grown up now and the pump house is full of turkeys.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 01:45:36 pm »
Aw, that's lovely! :love: Super kids. ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 02:49:13 pm »
Most people round here lock their gates to protect their livestock against being let out, or even stolen. And the empty fields are locked to stop gypsies camping there - they were on the local common right next to the golf club for two weeks, and  council had bother evicting them.  I drove past at the time they were due to leave, and the council had got all the local farmers with tractors ready to pull the caravans on to the road.  But gypsies know the law and how long they can stay, and moved off themselves. 

So, I suppose locking gates prevents bother like that!!

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 03:31:39 pm »
Most people round here lock their gates to protect their livestock against being let out, or even stolen. And the empty fields are locked to stop gypsies camping there - they were on the local common right next to the golf club for two weeks, and  council had bother evicting them.  I drove past at the time they were due to leave, and the council had got all the local farmers with tractors ready to pull the caravans on to the road.  But gypsies know the law and how long they can stay, and moved off themselves. 

So, I suppose locking gates prevents bother like that!!

we got no gypsies round these here parts...just a horrible farmer who hates people i think :(

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 05:29:04 pm »
You should try keeping sheep on a piece with a road running through it - the postman is the worst culprit at leaving the gate open.

Not much use putting in a cattle grid as our ewes will happily jump clean over them  ::)
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 05:52:22 pm »
egglady you will have Gypsy's in the area       you just don't recognise them as Gypsy's
yes your roads round you are very narrow for riding horses  but you don't have the right to ride on farmers fields even with the right to roam act i think i am right in saying you (or any horse rider ) are barred from ridding in farmers fields without permission :farmer:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 06:01:48 pm »
yes your roads round you are very narrow for riding horses  but you don't have the right to ride on farmers fields even with the right to roam act i think i am right in saying you (or any horse rider ) are barred from ridding in farmers fields without permission :farmer:

Yes you are right.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS