Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: So very new to all this!  (Read 3889 times)

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
So very new to all this!
« on: March 08, 2009, 11:29:50 pm »
I started growing some herbs a couple of years ago and am in the process of taking over my mother's vegetable patch this year as she's no longer able to do much. Slowly trying to gain information and experience so I can make good use of the smallish space available and looking to keep a few chickens within the next couple of years and moving on to various other livestock in the future once I have more space available. As I'm approaching my mid-30s and have to be very careful of the amount and type of physical activity I do thanks to almost ten years recovering from a spinal injury, I'm feeling a bit late to the party and that I should already know far more than I do  :(

I'm based in Kirkintilloch, a little NE of Glasgow and have been watching my babies' (ahem, garlic) shoots come up recently, after discovering it was still a good time to plant them from this web site in mid-January. I already have lots of questions, so I'll be spending some time searching the forums and general googling. If I end up asking a question that's already been answered countless times, I have looked, just not very well!

Enough wittering, back to looking at chicken coops.

Calum

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: So very new to all this!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 12:36:05 am »
Good luck, Calum, and welcome to the funny farm - it really is that sometimes!  You learn as you go - I'm late joining the party too - at 65! ;D ;D  I used to leave all this garden and animal stuff to my dear departed and went out to work in an office. The only problem I have is aI can't do the digging any more so i do raised beds instead - well one so far and a fruit section.

Enjoy!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 07:33:56 am »
Hi and welcome. 

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 10:44:09 am »
Morning Calum and welcome, I am outside St Andrews, Fife. I have ducks, geese, ponies and goats and they give me enormous pleasure although never as much fun cleaning them out on this freezing cold weather. You will enjoy your chickens I am sure. I started to incubate duck eggs last year and have great pleasure out of that. The goats are amazing as they are such little characters. I have 7 Pygmy's and 2 Dairies and hopefully will be adding another 2 Toggenburgs in the near future. Enjoy the site.

James

carole h

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 06:35:23 pm »
Welcome Calum!
This is a great place to get advice - enjoy the adventure.
Carole

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 06:48:06 pm »
Great to have you on board - WELCOME!

Kate  :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 06:55:08 pm »
Welcome aboard to the gang

Linz

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 08:43:24 pm »
Hi Calum and welcome.

If you need some morale support, check out Central Scotland Smallholders Association. You would be very welcome. We're a nice bunch (IMHO)and will be happy to help you along, if we can.

minidax

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 09:12:12 pm »
Hi Calum and welcome,

Its never too late! (I have a special birthday this year!!!! (Yes, ok 21 again!)) We are newbies too and are just starting out.  Everyone is really friendly here and we have learned so much already.   ;)

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 09:21:07 pm »
Thank you all for the very warm welcome and advice I've already received (directly and by browsing existing threads).

doganjo: very nearly twice my age... does this mean you'll be twice as good as me with chickens? ;)

Rosemary: thanks for the suggestion and I've had a quick look at the website. It's certainly cheap enough so no issue there, but I'd feel a complete fraud while I'm barely at the "learning to garden" stage! I do see a number of events I'd like to attend however, possibly get to speak to people at them (if I can convince myself to speak up and not scurry away when looked at as usual...).

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 10:13:45 pm »
Calum, we are not that far away from you based in Blanefield you are more than welcome to pop over and see our set up for chickens anytime you want.

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 10:33:24 pm »
Thanks Andrew, I would very much like to take you up on that when I'm closer to getting some chickens.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 10:39:07 pm »

Hi Calum,

We're only just up the road from you, and in much the same situation! (Isn't the internet wonderful?)  ;D

Fancy a pint sometime?

Womble.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 11:31:16 am »
That could be good Womble :)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 06:49:00 pm »
even the 'profession' had to learn!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS