Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: slapped, but not hard enough!  (Read 13269 times)

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
Re: slapped, but not hard enough!
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 09:29:25 pm »
thanks again SFS :pig:

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 10:42:44 pm »

By the wa, SfS, do you do a 'starter kit' sort of thing for slap marking?

I need to order a set of handle, plate, ink, and ink pad.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 11:21:31 pm »
White Blazes which abatoir are you using? If it's Denbigh check with them as they specified ear tags when I last used them.

We're using the same one we used last time on Anglesey, so only a 5 mile journey for them ;)
[/quote]

Ah you're lucky he wouldn't do mine. Too big and too black apparently.

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 09:42:24 am »
Hi Ambriel,

In all honesty, unless you are slapping 20+ pigs at any one time do not bother with an ink pad - they take a lot of ink to pre ink them and unless used on a regular basis can tend to try out. We advise use of a toothbrush or small paintbrush to ink the pins.

So in effect there is no such thing as a starter kit from us, as the slappers and ink we sell are exactly the same as used by pig units slapping 1000's of pigs.

When comparing slappers and prices just watch out for ones that seem at first to be a good deal, until you start adding on the slapper characters at £3 - £5 each.

Our price includes the Slapper and a plate manufactured to your herdmark characters.

As an aside, we can also produce meat stamps to "brandmark" the cuts of meat with basically any text or logo you like.

And we have made it easy for anyone to visit our site - just click the banner at the bottom of any TAS Forum page.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 09:18:29 pm »

Yeah, he doesn't do black or hairy, so we buy pink bald ones ;D  Ours go at 6 months, so just the right size.  Are you on Anglesey too Hughesy?

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 11:14:47 pm »
In all honesty, unless you are slapping 20+ pigs at any one time do not bother with an ink pad..
That's worth knowing. We only have a few, after all. I'll just order the other bits then.

Cheers
Gary

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2011, 10:53:34 am »

Yeah, he doesn't do black or hairy, so we buy pink bald ones ;D  Ours go at 6 months, so just the right size.  Are you on Anglesey too Hughesy?
Yes near Llangefni. We have to use J Williams at Denbigh which is a pain but can't be helped.

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2011, 11:44:07 am »
Ah right, these current 4 pigs came from Penmynydd so quite near you.  My friend went to Denby with theirs, it's quite a way to go too so we thought we'd just get pinks and stay close to home.  Valley butchers are collecting them and doing 1 for bacon/gammon etc, the other 3 for pork as last time.  Lamias are too busy to chop, as they were in the summer, but Valley are happy to do that so that's what we do :)  It's a lot easier for us as hubby works on the Ferries all week, so we have to book them in to tie in when he's on a week off etc etc.....

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
Re: slapped, but not hard enough!H
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2011, 07:09:04 am »
you did use slap marking paste?       did you cover the pins in paste a lot of paste   also did you rub the paste into the pin holes that you made on the pigs      it does wear of but it should still be visible :farmer:
When the pig is slaughtered the brand will be seen on them if it is a permanant ink  If not then it will las around 2 weeks and then will have to be done again.

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 10:13:30 pm »
Well the pigs are off to Wrexham on Monday, bit of an inconvenience for us but the Bodedern abatoir have let us down BIG style ::)

princesspiggy

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2011, 02:55:00 pm »
i tattooed our pigs ears before they went to slaughter (i didnt want to buy a slapmark and a tattoo set) and i did think it hadnt worked but it was clearly seen on the returning carcuss.
how soon before sending away are you supposed to mark them? im just asking as ours were pretty covered in tattoo paste and instructions i found online said not to wipe it off. do abattoirs not mind them going in like that or are slappmarkers not as messy? i did clean them up before they went and couldnt see the numbers but they are clearly on the dead carcuss.
but surely the marks are there to help the men there?

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2011, 12:11:07 pm »
Hi Princess,

Tattooing the ears is not really an acceptable method (In England) it should be either a slap to each shoulder or a single metal ear tag. But if your slaughterhouse is happy with that then carry on.

You can tattoo at any stage from 10 weeks old upto and including loading to the trailer for slaughter - However we tend to recommend a couple of weeks before slaughter.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2011, 01:24:19 pm »
I slapped pigs for the first time last week and I too was afraid of not slapping hard enough. I gave a firm slap on each shoulder and bum and the pigs, with their snouts in the trough, hardly noticed. 
When they came back I could see the tattoo clearly. I got my slapper and ink from S f S and couldn't have done better. :)

princesspiggy

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2011, 01:42:45 pm »
Tattooing the ears is not really an acceptable method (In England) it should be either a slap to each shoulder or a single metal ear tag.

in scotland we didnt need anything other than a temporary mark until 1st oct, now its changed. im pretty sure tattoos are accepted. tho we need 2 ear tags rather than one.

just while we are talking about id, can i tag my herd number onto a pedigree pig bred elsewhere if their tattoo is faded?

robert waddell

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2011, 02:47:51 pm »
first sfs the piglets are to be tattooed at weaning before they mix with other pigs     this is to comply with the bpa regulations on identifying pedigree pigs         it is unlikely that non pedigree pigs would be tattooed  but not improbable
second princess  if the original breeder identified the pig with a tattoo it is wrong to put another identifying mark on that pig       its original identity is lost and therefore cannot correlate with the pedigree papers
pigs appear to be unique in identification going by regulations  NOT BPA ONES  that a pig could end up looking like a Xmas tree with all the different id that it could collect in its lifetime  :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS