Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: KKs good wieght  (Read 2262 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
KKs good wieght
« on: November 09, 2011, 03:00:56 pm »
 hi i have 4 complete kune kune boys now about 5-6 months old and 3 castraited about 6-7 months old.... what sort of wieght should i be aiming for to slaughter........... should i kill the completes at 11 months and keep the castraited for a few months longer, and at what stage would they be just adding fat. Also about regs, after the pigs are one year old they need tags etc..... how does anyone (officials) know what age they are as i got the castraites at 5 months old but she wasnt sure, also the other 4 have no date of birth papers. so how can anyone tell if they are 11 or 15 months old.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: KKs good wieght
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 04:54:12 pm »
No matter what rhe age, they have to be identified for slaughter, either by tagging or slapping. Your abbatoir will tell you which they prefer.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 04:54:50 pm »
They should only need tagged when moving off your holding, so presumably they'd be tagged for slaughter anyway ? On your land they can go without tags, doesn't matter what age they are (they're not registered so it's not as if you need to prove one is pig A and one is pig B)

What weight are they now Harry ?

Anything above 60Kg liveweight is fine to send them off, but in the case of entire boars I'd try to get them to around 80Kg liveweight (or approx 40inch girth measurement) before sending. As long as you stick to the 1lb of hard feed a day rule and plenty of grazing they shouldn't get over fat, just don't give them too much barley  ;)
HTH
Karen  :wave:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 05:43:43 pm »
HH the castraited are 79cm girth x 76cm tail to ears approx = 33klos i think at 5-6 months, thought i maykeep these longer as no possibilty of boar taint. Fed on pellets and plenty of apples at the moment (put a sign up at my gate windfalls wanted will collect), had plenty given in sacks and plenty to go and pick up they are a problem nuisance for most people, happy for me to clear them up from their garden. grass getting a bit scarce now,  saving an area till winter plenty of rough grazing. Will move onto beet etc when apples run out.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 08:15:40 pm »
That sounds about right for castrates Harry.
You'll find the entire ones grow quicker and will be ready sooner than the castrates (possibly 8-10 months ish!)
But just keep doing what you're doing and try to record the weight month on month so you can see (and have a record of) how they do.
HTH
Karen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS