Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buttercups,gurrr,gurrr!  (Read 12320 times)

MelRice

• Joined Jun 2011
Buttercups,gurrr,gurrr!
« on: July 03, 2011, 12:24:14 pm »
Does anyone have a way of cutting down on or getting rid of buttercups on grazing land. There is one part of the field where I can see very little grass for the red clover and buttercups! The horse doesn't like them, the sheep will eat them but they don't eat the roots.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: Buttercups,gurrr,gurrr!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 05:51:25 pm »
We're going to spray ours. It's a nightmare.

I think if you keep cutting them then they eventually go away - especially now before they seed.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 01:06:00 am »
If it's creeping buttercup then what they tell me round here is that only ploughing works - and even then of course they do come back over a period of years.

I also understand that the buttercups are poisonous if eaten in quantity - which makes me worry for all of us who have to keep native ponies on tight pickings; such paddocks seem to turn to a yellow mass of buttercups really quickly, and the ponies are having to eat them as there's hardly any grass...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

MelRice

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 09:16:32 am »
I don't know if ploughing will work on this patch! More than half of it was "ploughed" bare by horse feet last autumn and has reseeded by incomming seed from surounding fields including my neighbours. On the other side of me my neighbour leaves it ti grow very long then cuts it. he does not seem to have so many (but I only look from my side not walk through it) Im hoping that constant cutting(grazing) will eventually work! The horse has first go followed by the sheep. Ill keep trying.

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 09:36:31 pm »
Buttercups thrive on poor soil through lack of lime, if you limed your field it would get rid of the buttercups :farmer:

MelRice

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 08:31:59 am »
Thanks, I did put some lime on last year but probably not enough...I know the ground in general round here is lime hungry and the animals on it up the acid level!

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 01:39:37 pm »
Apparently African Geese love eating the roots

It just so happens I have four goslings for sale  ;D  ;D  ;D
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

MelRice

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 09:43:09 am »
Love to have the goslings but im to far away (Eastern Germany!)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 04:20:27 pm »
Also - as well as liming, a drop of fertiliser will help shift the clover...... or at least remove its advantage

Clover thrives in non-fertile soil as it is a nitrogen fixer and therefore has an advantage over hungrier grasses in those conditions.

Clover is therefore a sign of low soil nutrition.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 08:57:07 pm »
Does anyone have a way of cutting down on or getting rid of buttercups on grazing land. There is one part of the field where I can see very little grass for the red clover and buttercups! The horse doesn't like them, the sheep will eat them but they don't eat the roots.

Look up " Grazon " on the web and see if you can get it or find someone over here to buy it and bring it back for you .

Where are you in E Germany ?
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 11:13:31 pm »
I've just put my pigs on what was previously the ponies' field for exactly that reason.  I have been told (and have never tried) liming as the creeping buttercup likes it acidic.  Otherwise, it's dig (or rootle  :D) it out, or blast it with chemicals.

Good luck!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 08:31:23 pm »
i wonder where some of you get your ideas from ;D
buttercups are a sign that the ground is needing lime
clover   this is a plant that any good farmer wants  yes it draws nitrogen from the air and stores it in its roots and benefits the grasses that are growing  phosphate and potash help it to grow nitrogen or straight nitrogen kills of every thing through time and costs a fortune as well
geese is that domestic as opposed to wild geese i would not want thousands of them landing shitting all over the grass
if you are hell bent on getting rid of buttercups and clover spray with roundup or deep plough and reseed with what ever grass seed variety that you fancy
personally i would just lime it you can get pelleted lime that you can apply with a fertilizer distributor :farmer:

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS