Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fireworks - very cross!!  (Read 18890 times)

robert waddell

Re: Fireworks - very cross!!
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2011, 10:03:14 pm »
Na the loudest firework is a gas cylinder
i found one a half full 7 lb one kept it for bonfire night  got the fire going all the other fireworks were going fiss pop and the occasional bang   through the gas  cylinder on the fire(out in the middle of the field) ran like hell back to a safe distance and waited                  boom and blew the bloody bonfire out :farmer:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2011, 11:07:01 pm »
Na the loudest firework is a gas cylinder
i found one a half full 7 lb one kept it for bonfire night  got the fire going all the other fireworks were going fiss pop and the occasional bang   through the gas  cylinder on the fire(out in the middle of the field) ran like hell back to a safe distance and waited                  boom and blew the bloody bonfire out :farmer:
And THAT was a b----y stupid thing to do,  ::)wasn't it?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2011, 11:44:07 pm »
Hmm, well, much as I dislike fireworks I have to agree with Roberts earlier comments about the cause - even if there is a thick smoke bank crossing the road, the drivers are still responsible for deciding how fast they go through it - if it was that thick they must have seen it coming.

I must admit I've caught myself doing the same thing before now - driving into thick fog and not slowing down immediately in the hope that it's just a small patch and I'll come out the other side without having to slow down - stupid thing to do and I made a mental note to not do it again - 'til I forget.

mab

robert waddell

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2011, 09:20:41 am »
not really Annie if you were to see the area where the bonfire was and we were a safe distance from it
and it was a practical demonstration of how red Adair extinguishes oil well fires ;) :farmer:

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2011, 09:28:24 pm »
We had a party on our field at Halloween, 40+ people many of whom camped I made it very clear on all the invites NO fireworks & NO Chinese lanterns, not 1 person objected as I explained about the animals on ours & the surrounding fields

Why can't people be more considerate, I don't like fireworks at the best of times but they definitely have no place around animals 
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2011, 11:06:51 pm »
perhaps those who don't have or appreciate animals need something to light up their lives?  ???

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2011, 12:33:45 am »
perhaps those who don't have or appreciate animals need something to light up their lives?  ???

That's a really nice thought phb  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

nicandem

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Berkeley, Glos
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2011, 09:42:14 am »
not really Annie if you were to see the area where the bonfire was and we were a safe distance from it
and it was a practical demonstration of how red Adair extinguishes oil well fires ;) :farmer:

Safe distance???
I have seen gas bottles land 200 + yards away  :oafter they went off in the back of a lorry on fire!!!

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2011, 06:17:34 pm »
A few years ago, I lived in a maisonette, one of 8 above a row of shops, my front door opened on to a flat roof at the rear of them

All our heating and cooking was propane, as most of us who lived there worked the local dealer would leave bottles while we were out and collect the empties.

This all had to stop as the local yobs used to think it great fun to turn on the valve and light the bottles sending them flying across the roof at what seamed to be 100 miles per hour, mine was at one end of the roof with a small wall at the side which was the raised roof of the newsagents downstairs. Eventually they put a hole through the wall with a bottle sending it crashing into the shop below

Dangerous things and very unpredictable
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2011, 09:20:12 pm »
This year bonfire party in next field to where our Herdwick and Dartmoor flock live. They did warn us so we moved the sheep as far away as we could. As we  were told that one of their friends like to buy 'big' fireworks....... we went up there just after dark.

At first all sheep all happily watching bonfire................ until fireworks started, then mayhem............

poor sheep ....total panic, all gathering around me and hubby and then scattering all over field and coming back again.  this went on for hours.

next morning 6 lame sheep and little Teddy (little runt- totally cute) stuck fast in brambles.. for how long i don't know  :(

why don't people think?  or don't they give  a damn aslong as they are having fun?

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2011, 09:28:52 pm »
Herdygirl I think your right - people just don't think and even if they consider dogs I don't think they consider sheep - we're lucky enough to be far enough away from civilisation that we see them in the distance but all stock were fine - even the german shepherd pottered around the 'garden' while we watched - saying that I would be all for only propar displays as a couple a few days early gave me a fright!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

waterhouse

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2011, 11:17:15 pm »
I have to agree with most of the sentiments expressed here.  One thing though: we had a huge rabbit problem two years ago and I found shooting to be most effective.  Initially the livestock was hugely disturbed, so a couple of bunnies was the limit.  Very quickly though they got the hang of it and then just ignored it.

It's the same with the helicopters.  We're in the Luton control zone so they cross at 500ft, sometimes less. The animals just keep on eating.  Same goes for the rather larger number of emergency vehicles heading towards the M1that pass our pasture.

Part of the problem round here is that the old Standard Fireworks product isn't  good enough apparently.  Just up the road you can buy display fireworks that would rival an RPG-7

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2011, 12:19:02 pm »
Just found this on defra's website while i was smoozing other stuff, thought might be of interest

http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2011/11/03/sky-lanterns-nuisance/

mandy  :pig:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2011, 05:01:50 pm »
almost a week on, still finding fragments of fireworks in the sheep field. Lucky it wasn't the goats I guess because they'd make a beeline to have a chew on anything, the sheep we have tend to only it 'it' if its green...
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2011, 12:48:26 am »
why don't people think?  or don't they give  a damn as long as they are having fun?
I'm afraid this pretty much hits the nail on the head nowadays.

Far to many people simply don't give a damn about anyone else and so feel to do and act just as they please.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS