Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hello from Carmarthenshire  (Read 8632 times)

Maesgwyn

• Joined Nov 2011
hello from Carmarthenshire
« on: November 05, 2011, 01:53:57 pm »
Hello, my husband and i have moved from Hampshire over a year ago now to West Wales and have some land here, so far we have fenced one of the three fields and have poultry and pigs. We have been doing up an old house and still have quite a way to go as the place has not been lived in for five years and the land not really worked for 20 looking at the saplings that are now growing at least 60 away from the hedge line.
Julia

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: hello from Carmarthenshire
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 04:23:49 pm »
Hello  and welcome from sunny (well, it was) Carnoustie  :wave:

We moved to our place eighteen months ago, renovated the house (lived in but nothing done since about 1920  ::)) and we're working on the smallholding. Great fun and very satisfying  ;D

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 08:54:54 pm »
Hi Maesgwyn  :wave: :wave:

Welcome to a sometimes sunny Carmarthenshire - though we have morethan our fair share of the wet stuff.

There's lots of 'incomers' to West Wales on this forum - and lots of lovely people who help out us 'newbies' who ask daft  :P :P questions and get some very good advice back.

I know the feeling, we are the same - nothing been done on the holding for years ::) ::) I'm currently cutting back some more of the hedge thats about 15' out into the field. 

We've concentrated on building the extensions so far but still have the old house to renovate...
You are never to old to learn something new

Jimbofish67

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Brynamman South Wales
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 09:18:57 pm »
Hello Maesgwyn

be interested to hear how you're doing, we have a similar task a head of us when we finally make our final move down to Wales. Old house and neglected land.
We'll almost be neighbours being just up the road on the edge of the Breacons.

Jimbofish

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 09:24:50 pm »
Hi Julie,

Like you we have brought in  improved breeding stock to the local populace . ;)

We came in from Cambridgeshire and live close to Ammanford.

I don't work the land per see as I'm a physical ( and some days mental ) wreck but I do have a fair bit of experience in crop growing and have still managed to grow things via a big glasshouse and numerous raised 900 mm high beds done in engineering bricks & filled with a decent mix of stable muck , sharpe sand and brought in top soil,  as the soil here is about as much use as a chocolate tea pot .

I've been dragged up as a farm labourers colt in the wilds of Lincolnshire since 1950 and had my own small mammal  farm and couple of acres to play with .

Happy to offer you any knowledge and experiences I have .

Have fun with clearing ..I had to remove over 90 trees with boles of over 10 inches  diameter and all the associated scrub on the place I had .

We kept anything over 1 & 1/2 inches thick for the wood burner , then used the rubbish , brambles and leaves etc to help  burn  the roots that we dragged out once they were fairly dry then used the ash as potash on the new veg and lawn areas.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 09:32:05 pm by Plantoid »
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 10:14:17 pm »
Hi Julia, welcome from another West Wales smallholder. We are furher west, right on the coast at Cardigan Bay.

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 08:27:04 am »
Hi and welcome from North Yorkshire.  :wave:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 10:42:23 am »
Hello and welcome from Central Scotland!

Beth

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 10:59:55 am »
Hiya Maesgwyn, from Carms/Pembs border (but then you know that ..  ;) ) :thumbsup: :wave:  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 11:01:51 am by Blinkers »
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Maesgwyn

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 11:04:02 am »
Wow what a welcome. miss Piggy where abouts on the Cardigan bay do you live? I am off to CCF and the supermarket tomorrow as that is our local 'big town' 
We concentrated on the house first as we like our creature comforts though things did not go as planned as we lived in a caravan through that very cold winter last year, frozen pipes etc, we are now in the house but still surrounded by building work and the mud that goes with it! We have three fields and are fencing one at a time, bar the lack of polly tunnel we have reached all our targets for our first year which is pleasing, now the nights are drawing in we can concentrate on the inside of the house again.
It has been a very steep learning curve but fun at times, my spinning keeps me sane!
Julia

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 12:38:04 pm »
Hi & welcome. I'm a bit further up the Cardigan bay coast 10 miles away from Aberystwyth. :wave:
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Maesgwyn

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 03:21:48 pm »
Kaz I belong to the Ceredigion Weavers Spinners and Dyers guild that meet in the school hall at Aberaeron so come up your way once a month, there seems to be quite a few of us on here that live this far west.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 03:55:07 pm »
Kaz, Maesgwyn,

I am hoping to move to the same area in Jan. I wasn't aware of the Ceredigion Weavers Spinners and Dyers previously but will no doubt see you there once I get settled in

Sally.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

digit

• Joined Sep 2009
  • near Swansea
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 05:15:10 pm »
Hi and welcome from  Nr Swansea  :wave:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 06:51:21 pm »
hello and welcome :wave:
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS