Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Would anyone like two goats? (North of Scotland)  (Read 6726 times)

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
Would anyone like two goats? (North of Scotland)
« on: November 05, 2011, 12:54:25 pm »

We have two lovely goats, Bella and Flash, but have come to the sad decision that we probably ought to find a better home for them.

The problem is that our land is very poorly drained and whilst the Kunes don't seem to mind this I know it's far from ideal for goats.

Flash appears to be a toggenberg and Bella a Saanen. No idea if they're purebred or crossed though. Both adult and around 4 years old we think. Neither has been in kid but they should make excellent milking goats if they were to be. Both very friendly and used to being handled.

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
    • Harbour Cottage
Re: Would anyone like two goats? (North of Scotland)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 05:35:00 pm »

Oh and both tagged.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 12:25:05 am »
I'm so tempted since mine only produced one male this year but I live too far away in Shropshire.  Hope you find a good home for them.

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 06:58:05 pm »
Where in the North of Scotland are you? x

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 10:28:16 pm »

We're way up in the north west corner - Kinlochbervie.

They're lovely girls and I wouldn't be doing this if our land was better drained. I've thought about converting part of our barn so they could be kept indoors over the winter.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 11:36:20 pm »
I'd go for that.  My girls have a shed and a yard and are happy and healthy.  :goat: :goat:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 11:40:09 pm »
Some of my goats are housed all winter - they do not mind, so long as food is available.  It does give my grass a good rest.  If all 16 were out full time, we would have one muddy farm, with no grass. 

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 08:34:22 pm »
My goats are inside for most of the winter - field is too wet, needs a rest and the girls are happier inside! I take the pregnant ladies outside for walks though, especially in the last months - they don't appreciate it! Kids/goatlings get some lead training as well, but am not too worried about them.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 10:22:49 pm »
Ours too stay inside for the winter- too wet for their feet ouside, and they would just turn the field to mud!

Beth

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 10:35:59 pm »
lots of posts about keeping goats inside in the winter...making me wonder about our arrangement.

do you think my girls would be happier (2 of them) in a 12x12 stable over the winter than their shed with access to outdoors.....the only problem being that the access is through a rather churned up, muddy boggy section..havent seen them outside for a day or two, so am thinking that they are just staying indoor.  shed doesnt have natural light.....

stable doesnt have a door they can see over but it does get natural light

what would others do?

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 10:42:20 pm »

Well, it looks like I've found a new home for them. A very nice lady with 2 acres they can enjoy and who already has other livestock. It'll be a shame to see them go because they're so lovely but their welfare must come first.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 11:16:12 pm »
lots of posts about keeping goats inside in the winter...making me wonder about our arrangement.

do you think my girls would be happier (2 of them) in a 12x12 stable over the winter than their shed with access to outdoors.....the only problem being that the access is through a rather churned up, muddy boggy section..havent seen them outside for a day or two, so am thinking that they are just staying indoor.  shed doesnt have natural light.....

what would others do?

I've noticed mine walk out on some concrete building blocks I left along the bottom of the doorway. can't you drop a couple of breeze/concrete blocks down or something for them to use as stepping stones? It would be a shame to fasten them in untill the bad weather comes in. They might even enjoy the novelty  :).

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 07:09:56 pm »

I've noticed mine walk out on some concrete building blocks I left along the bottom of the doorway. can't you drop a couple of breeze/concrete blocks down or something for them to use as stepping stones? It would be a shame to fasten them in untill the bad weather comes in. They might even enjoy the novelty  :).
[/quote]

fab idea, i'll get on the case with that then...thanks

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 08:52:16 pm »
Most goats will stay happily inside for most of the winter - not much to eat for them outside anyway. If you can have yours in with horses they can seee and hear, they should be very happy!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 10:56:17 pm »

what would others do?

Ultimately, Dairy Goats are dairy animals- just like Dairy Cows. How many dairy cows do you see with access outside for 24 hours a day in the winter? We live in a dairy cattle area, and all the surrounding dairy cows are now in for the winter...

Natural daylight is very important for goats.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS