Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boreray  (Read 3862 times)

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
Boreray
« on: November 04, 2011, 07:45:25 am »
Someone (think it may have been Fleecewife) was discussing getting Boreray sheep in Scotland.  There are some in the Dingwall Rare Breeds Sale on Saturday according to their website.  Sorry for the short notice, but they have only just put up the details.
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Boreray
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 08:08:04 am »
I wonder if they are registered stock?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 08:40:53 am »
Don't know, it just says 2 Boreray females, from Mr I Stewart of East Aquhorties Farmhouse, if that's any help.
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 10:22:49 am »
Hm - he's in the Combined Flock book as keeping Castlemilks but not Boreray, or at least not registered ones.  I wonder what the story is.  If anyone is going to the sale, it's worth checking with him whether the ewes are registered or registerable ie birth notified.  I will also check with the breed sec as he would be a good breeder to keep reg Boreray, to get them well up into the north.  I think he also keeps Hebs

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 10:45:06 am »
Someone who's going is looking for some sheep for me, I'll ask him if he has time to check it out.  Must go off to Thainstone.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 12:20:34 pm »
we have boreray in Fife.  My friend has a small flock.  so they are slowly heading North  :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 12:40:08 pm »
Are they the new ones that came up this autumn from the Backforest flock?

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 01:34:22 pm »
not sure, know they came from a good distance away. will ask

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 10:57:24 am »
Hm - he's in the Combined Flock book as keeping Castlemilks but not Boreray, or at least not registered ones.  I wonder what the story is.  If anyone is going to the sale, it's worth checking with him whether the ewes are registered or registerable ie birth notified.  I will also check with the breed sec as he would be a good breeder to keep reg Boreray, to get them well up into the north.  I think he also keeps Hebs
  Just spoken to 'My Man at The Sale' who says there's nothing on the pen to say they're registered.  He will keep an eye out for the seller and ask him if he spots him.  There's also a Balwen, probably unregistered for sale from a different vendor.  My neighbour was looking for a tup lamb but won't buy unregistered.  It's such a shame that rare breeds are not being registered as it de -values them, and I don't know how many have grading up registration available.  Any way I've put my order in, so we'll see what happens!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS