Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Please help, strange egg yolk colour!  (Read 2350 times)

farming_newblood

• Joined Feb 2009
Please help, strange egg yolk colour!
« on: November 03, 2011, 09:00:29 am »
Can anyone help we have some free range ducks, they are healthy and acting normally. We collect their eggs daily when the eggs are clean, on cracking the egg- she shell is normal- nice and strong with good shape and a smooth shell. The problem is the yolk colour- is almost brown! We have some hens eggs that are so orange they are almost red but never had brown yolks! I know they are fresh as we collect from the ark not found under cabins etc.

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: Please help, strange egg yolk colour!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 01:57:37 pm »
It will be something that they are eating, although I don't know what. A friend of mine had some chickens that laid eggs with red yolks. After a while they realised that the chickens were eating the coloured the maggots that the fishermen were leaving on the canal bank behind their house.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Re: Please help, strange egg yolk colour!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 11:44:27 am »
I sometimes have whites that are greenish or even have a blueish tint but never heard of yolks. I know that most pellets contain a colouring to make them a rich dark yellow, maybe change the brand and see if that makes a difference? :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS