Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Liver Fluke in Food Chain  (Read 5111 times)

Roy

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Lincolnshire and Haute-Vienne France
Liver Fluke in Food Chain
« on: March 08, 2009, 11:17:42 am »
I have a spring that is fed from a boggy patch in a field, a quarter of a mile uphill.  I have sown watercress in the runoff and have an abundant crop.  Until last October, there were sheep in the field with the spring, and they paddled among the reeds in the bog.  I have been advised to avoid eating the cress, due to the possibility of liver fluke.  Can anyone tell me how long this could live in the water, post sheep, and if it could transfer to humans in the uncooked watercress?

Thanks in anticipation..

Roy
Roy

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Liver Fluke in Food Chain
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 11:34:53 am »
Well I know about the dangers of Liver fluke to sheep and goats, but never looked at it from the food chain angle. I don't know that humans suffer from liver fluke though.  Ok I stand corrected- I have learnt something new today! Found this quite interesting http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/fluke_infections.jsp However, it doesn't give any information on how long it could live there post sheep.  Apparently it can transfer to humans, and that article above even mentions watercress.

Beth

Roy

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 12:46:58 pm »
Thanks Beth, very useful - looks like I am right to be worried!  From reading the linked article, it seems that cooking should kill it.  I should probably dig out a recipe for watercress soup!

Roy
Roy

Jo525

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 10:48:39 pm »
The life cycle of the liver fluke involves a species of snail (lymnaea truncatula, or 'galba' snails), so if you get rid of the snails, you'll get rid of the fluke! Sadly, this isn't really possible without draining the area and keeping it dry as the wildlife population will carry it (hares etc), so the sheep aren't really the reason that its there I'm afraid. Once the organisms break out of the snail host they can live on the herbage for a number of months.

And yes, you are right that liver fluke can affect humans :( Sorry for the bad news!

Roy

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 10:26:26 am »
Thanks for the informative reply.  It's good news in the sense that, now I am aware, I won't be picking up this parasite.
Roy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS