Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cows colostrum for pigs  (Read 3877 times)

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
Cows colostrum for pigs
« on: March 08, 2009, 12:02:21 am »
We have a huge amount of cows colostrum (beastings, as they call it here in Co. Cavan) available at the moment. I've been told that pigs love it and that it's good for them (I know that DEFRA has regs on it coming from a different farm, that don't apply here). Just how benificial is it?

Morgan  :farmer:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Cows colostrum for pigs
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 09:33:43 am »
Morgan I have no idea, but would be very interested if you found any information, please.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 06:37:05 pm »
In the 80s and 90s I worked on a lot of dairy farms and unless they were rearing lots of calves most went off to market or were shot at birth :( So I used to take home loads of unsuitable for humans milk and mix it with barleymeal for raising my porkers..........along with fruit and veg from the grocers it used to form the perfect diet, high in protein, fat and essential vits which along with the carb in the barley and the fruit and veg made for cheap tasty pigs that grew like weeds!!!
I also kept a herd of goats and the surplus milk went the same way!
...............I occaisionally raised a veal calf on the cows milk and goats milk mixed plus hay and they were fab too!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 10:27:58 pm »
That's great news as the  " Colostrum has antioxidant properties, natural anti-inflammatory properties and is a source of many vitamins, minerals, enzymes and amino acids. Bovine colostrum rebuilds the immune system, helps the body ward off foreign invaders, accelerates healing of all body tissue, increases bone and lean muscle mass and replenishes an aging system." I just wanted to check if anyone had actually used it or if i was being told old wives tales (come to think of it old wives tales generally have a large amount of truth in them!)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 07:38:42 am »
My ageing system needs rejuvenating although would prefer not to fatten.  Would it work on me?

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 09:24:55 am »
It has been tried on humans...."Proponents of the use of bovine colostrum by humans as a dietary supplement claim that bovine colostrum raises both general immunity and physical strength, and sometimes cite the few studies of bovine colostrum in humans. Most of these studies do not show great efficacy of normal colostrum for human consumption, but show efficacy for specific health and immunity parameters when using Hyper Immunized colostrum". I think oil of Ulay's marketshare is safe for a few years yet!

:farmer:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 12:21:52 pm »
Damnit, have to continue to look old and haggard then.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 09:00:54 pm »
Is bathing in it an option?

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 09:01:25 am »
I'm brave....but not that brave Rosemary! Lol

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS