Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Woohoo In calf!  (Read 3671 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Woohoo In calf!
« on: October 28, 2011, 07:38:40 pm »
Vet scanned the girls today and both are in calf. :thumbsup:

Breeze is 2 1/2 months gone - due 25th May. We could actually see her calf on the scan - it's legs, anyway.

Blizzard is 5 1/2 weeks, so due 29th June. We couldn't see anything other than balck fluid but the vet says shes definitely in calf.

Had a wee glass of bubbly tonight to toast the expectant mums  ;D

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: Woohoo In calf!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 09:08:06 pm »
woohoo, congratulations :)

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 09:10:29 pm »
Brilliant news  :thumbsup:

Now you've just got to work on your midwifery technique  ;)
Ropes at the ready  :o  ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 09:12:24 pm »

I'm hoping to go out one morning (well, two mornings) and find they've done it all without me.  ;D

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 09:34:12 pm »
Fingers crossed mrs  ;)
I'm sure (like all native breeds) they'll be fine and do it without all the drama associated with the heavier commercial breeds - or maybe that's just sheep  ???
lol! What do I know, I keep pigs  ::) I'll shut up and not panic you  ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 01:23:59 am »

I'm hoping to go out one morning (well, two mornings) and find they've done it all without me.  ;D

Very many congratulations!  And lovely warm weather, good grass times for the calvings, too.  (We hope!)

As to the midwifery and leaving them to it...  probably Shetlands are naturally great mothers, but with our 'mixed parentage' sucklers we keep a very close eye on any heifers calving as they don't always know what to do, and if they don't lick the cowl off the calf may never breathe on its own. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 09:18:09 am »
Thank you!

The problem with the timing of calving is keeping the weight off the heifers. With the good grass in Spring, it's not goind to be easy. I might try rotating them AFTER the sheep rather than before, so there's less grazing for them - would that be a plan? The vet says that he'd rather they were slightly thin before calving and I can put as much feed as I like into them afterwards as it will go into the milk or on her back, not into growing the unborn calf.

I will try and move their calving date back towards April, which was my original plan, so will want to get the bull out as quickly as possible after calving. How soon after calving do cows come back into season?

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 10:03:03 am »
I'm not sure how soon after calving they'll cycle again (Sally will though  ;)) but following the sheep to keep them on low rations sounds like a good plan  ;)
Karen  :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 11:40:30 am »
if you want to alter there calving date you want the bull back to them just before 6 weeks after calving if they are fit and both fertile they shoud settle first time   you do not want the bull near them (cow and calve)before the calve is a month old  :farmer:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 12:52:05 pm »
I'm not sure how soon after calving they'll cycle again (Sally will though  ;))

I wish I could live up to your faith in me Karen  :D  but it seems to be a moveable feast.  From our own herd, 5-6 weeks after calving is the earliest they seem to come a-bulling, but if served then they often (nearly always) don't hold.  Our average seems to be around 8-10 weeks after calving to come a-bulling.  They're much more likely to hold when bulled at this time.  We don't have a bull this year, though, and I'm sure they'll cycle sooner if they've a bull with them.

So I would absolutely echo Robert's advice - send them to the bull at about 6 weeks after calving (or watch and use AI if that's your preference.)

On the condition and health over winter, BH says the following:
  • Don't give them Crystalyx; they will just put weight on again.  Better to give them a mineral drench or bolus.  Check with your vet what specific elements they need on top of the salt and yellow Rockies, and drench them or get a bolus for that.  For us, it's iodine, copper, cobalt and selenium they need.
  • Your ground is too good to get weight off native good-doers!  He'd winter them indoors on straw only, but definitely limit their intake of grass somehow.
  • Monitor their weight carefully - since they're growing calves inside them it's hard to judge from an actual weight or girth measurement, so find some points about their bodies to monitor - my dairy farming neighbour swears by the fat on the pin bones and vertebrae in the tail head.
  • If the weight isn't coming off, be prepared to bring them in on reduced rations.  They could well still put on weight, or not lose, even on just good straw, so you may need to try to find some poor hay with very little nutrition in it for them to pick on at with just a flap or two of better stuff night and morning.

Good problems to have though!  I've just been thinking about how to manage my Fells this winter; they're horribly overweight after a summer on very rough marshy pasture and I can't see them losing without being restricted and getting a lot more exercise. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 02:46:00 pm »
Lovely news! I'm sure all will be well. Looking forward to the best of news :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS