Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is my Merino ram working???  (Read 5320 times)

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
Is my Merino ram working???
« on: November 01, 2011, 01:51:48 pm »
I'm a bit concerned about my Merino ram.  I've put him in with my Bowmont ewes, only five of them I might add, and he's appears totally disinterested!  I'm pretty sure he's not been near any of them. He's not got a raddle strap of crayon on  his breast, so I'm going by the absence of muddy hoof marks on the flanks of the ewes.  In fact, I'm wondering whether he's ill.  Doesn't appear to be limping but is slow on his feet.  Eating OK but very slow getting to the trough.  Always lying down well away from the ewes in a far flung corner of the field.  No other signs of illness at all -does not appear to be losing condition, at least not yet anyway.  Now there is one little problem which might be contributing to his disinterest in my ewes.  He has a shearing injury which he had before we bought him earlier this year - he has a cut (...males may wish to stop reading now!!!! ???) through the top bit of his penis.  Just to top, not all the way down, but it does look odd.  We were told he was a working ram but you can't believe everything people tell you.   Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
Re: Is my Merino ram working???
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 02:47:08 pm »
Is the cut to the penis itself, or just the prepuce (sheath)? Is the pizzle (worm) present on the tip of the glans? Is it weeping/swollen?, does the ram have or has he had a temperature? sorry for all the questions, but it helps to have a clearer picture from which to pick clues!
I bought a ram who happened to have flystrike around his prepuce, which I immediately treated, but it was enough to make him completely infertile that season. He did mark all his ewes, but when they all returned I knew something was up! He was fine the following season. How long has your ram been with his ewes? the fact that he isn't taking an interest suggests discomfort somewhere - may be wise to get him seen by a vet.
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 03:17:22 pm »
Yep ditto that our ram one year had a small patch of fly strike on his balls that was enough to raise his temperature and put him back nearly half a season we had to put a sweeper ram in to mop up!
Ithink i would raddle him if i were you just so you know if he does cover anything.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 03:20:32 pm »
Thanks for the reply Hazlewood.  This is a longstanding injury although it could well have become infected and/or sore if he's been trying to serve the ewes, so yes, that's a good point, didn't think of that one.  Yes, the injury is the top of his penis (poor thing!) It looks like the shearer has tried to cut it in half and didn't get very far (if you know what I mean!)  I think we'll have to get him in and have a look at him to see if there is any sign of weeping or soreness and take it from there.  Biggest problem is catching him - he might be acting a bit dopey at the moment, but he can really go when he wants - and those horns  :o  Still, were up for a challenge ;D 

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 03:25:01 pm »
Good luck! If his temperature is even slightly raised it will affect him, best to get another ram if you can...
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 05:12:52 pm »
If only it were that simple - it took me ages to find a Merino ram to buy - then I find one and this happens. ::)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 05:55:32 pm »
Would the person who sold him to you not swap him?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 06:01:41 pm »
Yes I would catch him asap and take him to the vet. He can take a sample and also check wether the boy is actually able to function in the normal way.

However, is there any Merino semen available? I know that Innovis now do a pretty routine laprascopic AI, and it may be the answer? Also if he is not working and the injury was from before you had him - I would speak to the seller and demand some answers.

The shetland crosses do produce lovely wool too, and the boys look quite nice too. Maybe an alternative, you shpould be able to get hold of a good Shetland ram, even just for  loan quite easily. You would just have to make sure he is white and produces white lambs (some of them have black or something else in their pedigree....)

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 09:17:43 pm »
How long has he been in with the ewes? If there are only five, they won't be enough to keep him busy. They may just not be in season yet. I would also put some raddle on him asap.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 12:14:05 am »
Personally I would doubt whether your ram is able to serve your ewes with a damaged penis and it sounds as if the worm like appendage is missing, which is usually a requirement to be able satisfactorily serve the ewes. But with him lying away from the ewes he sounds like he isn't interested - the ewes should definitely be coming into season at this time of the year, so unless he has actually managed the job already (which I doubt) then he should be showing interest. - So it sounds like there may be another problem as well. I borrowed a ram once who behaved just like yours, lying away from the ewes and showing no interest in sheep in general let alone doing his job. There was nothing really wrong with him other than that but we found him dead one morning, so I hope you don't have that experience.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 07:37:50 am »
Until I got to the bit about a cut on his penis I was ready to write 'give him a mineral drench or injection.'

If he has a wound on his penis that is other than pink healthy healing/healed he shouldn't be being asked to work. 

I appreciate that you won't be able to find another Merino at short notice but to me this is a welfare issue and perhaps you have to forgo your Merino lambs this season.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 08:41:45 am »
The wound is longstanding, certainly before we purchased him as a 'working' ram earlier in the year, and we sheared him so it is at least a year or more old,  but that doesn't mean it has not caused him a problem with serving the ewes and our concern now is that it may have an infection.  We're off this morning to try and catch him and have a  look at him.

Thanks for the suggestion Anke, re:  A Shetland ram, but I actually managed to get a Bowmont ram this year (amazingly enough).  I just wanted to improve the fleece so introduced a Merino ram as I think my ewes (now have10, plus lambs) have a touch too much Shetland in them .  The ewes, I think, will go in with 'Ben' the Bowmont ram, along with the other Bowmont ewes as I really don't see any possibility of my Merino ram doing his bit this year - if at all!! Hey - ho! We live and learn.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 04:09:27 pm »
Hi Caroline - good that you have a way out with your Bowmont tup... Hope you get the Merino boy sorted.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS